State of Colorado - Motor Vehicle Dealer Board
Mastery Examination Instructions
1) This examination is computerized and must be taken “online.” (Note: If an applicant desires to take the examination as a paper test, he or she must submit a written request to the attention of the Executive Secretary of the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board, detailing the exact reasons why the applicant is unable to take the online examination. The Executive Secretary will grant the request only upon a showing of good cause.)
2) The examination must be administered either by a dealership licensed in Colorado or by a Motor-Vehicle-Dealer-Board-approved third-party administrator. Approved third-party administrators are: the Colorado Automobile Dealers Association (CADA), the Colorado Independent Automobile Dealers Association (CIADA), the Powersports Dealers Association of Colorado (PDAC), and Colorado Automobile/Powersports Support Services (CAPSS). (Note: If an applicant desires to take the examination at the offices of the Auto Industry Division, he or she must submit a written request to the attention of the Executive Secretary of the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board, detailing the exact reasons why the applicant is unable to take the examination administered by either a dealership or by an approved third-party administrator. The Executive Secretary will grant the request only upon a showing of good cause.)
3) The Auto Industry Division will issue to an administering dealership or approved third-party administrator a password to enable the applicant to access the online examination at the examination location under the supervision of the dealership or approved third-party administrator.
4) The applicant must complete the actual examination without the assistance of any other person.
5) The applicant will have a maximum of ninety (90) minutes to complete the examination. The examination will “time-out” at the end of the allowed time.
6) This is an open book examination and a passing score of eighty-five percent (85%) is required.
7) The applicant must answer all sixty (60) questions to complete the examination.
8) Prior to submitting the examination for scoring, the applicant may, within the ninety (90) minutes allotted for the test, go back to review any question or to make a change to any answer.
9) THE NUMBER OF TIMES IN A CALENDAR DAY THAT AN APPLICANT CAN TAKE THE EXAMINATION IS TWO (2). IF YOU EXCEED THE 2x PER DAY LIMIT, YOUR THIRD (3) TEST (OR MORE) WILL BE INVALIDATED.
10) As soon as the applicant hits the submit button at the end the examination, the computer will grade the examination and show the resulting score. The computer will not show the specific questions that the applicant missed.
11) If the applicant receives a passing score, he or she must sign and submit an “Examination Affidavit.” The person who actually administered the passing-score examination, whether an individual at a dealership or an individual associated with an approved third-party administrator, must also sign the Examination Affidavit. (Note: The Examination Affidavit is a Department of Revenue form, DR2097. The Examination Affidavit is part of the license application requirement and this signed form, filled out completely, must be submitted as part of the overall application.)
DON’T WASTE YOUR TIME! STUDY BEFOREHAND!
The Mastery Examination is a test of your personal knowledge and understanding of applicable laws and regulations. The link, “Motor Vehicle/Powersports Industry Laws and Regulations,” takes you to a document containing all of the applicable laws and regulations. When you click on that link, you will see that some of the text is highlighted. You are expected to know and understand all portions of the applicable laws and regulations. However, the highlighted text specifically covers what you must know in order to have the minimum level of competency required for the license you seek.
To access mastery examination instructions and take the exam, click on one of the examination providers below: