Managed care organizations are groups of doctors, clinics, hospitals, pharmacies and other providers who work together to take care of their members' health care needs. Another name for a managed care organization is a network or a health plan.
Managed care members must choose a primary care physician (PCP). Whenever there is a medical problem, the managed care member must first talk to their PCP. The PCP can treat or refer members to a specialist within the network. Members cannot see providers outside the network except in emergencies or with a PCP referral.
The advantages of a managed care health plans are:
- Coordination from an entire health care system
- Preventive care examinations for adults and 24 hour access to medical care
- No co-payments (except for Rocky Mountain Health Plan)
- Access to a broad provider network
There are three managed care organizations in Colorado.
- The Denver Health Medicaid Choice Plan is available in Adams, Arapahoe, Denver and Jefferson Counties.
- The Rocky Mountain Health Plan serves the western part of the state in Delta, Mesa, Montrose, Ouray, Rio Blanco and San Miguel Counties.
- The Colorado Access Health Plan is a program designed to evaluate and improve enhanced care management for a small population of high needs clients living in Adams, Arapahoe, Broomfield and Boulder Counties.
A Plan Comparison Chart shows the differences between the health plans.
There is also information in each plan's Member Handbook:
For more complete information about a plan call HealthColorado or the health plan.
- The HealthColorado customer service number is (303) 839-2120 (Denver Metro Area) or 1-888-367-6557 toll free. TTY is 1-800-659-2656. You can call Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Denver Health Medicaid Choice Plan customer service number is (303) 602-2116 (Denver Metro Area) or 1-800-700-8140 toll free.
- The Rocky Mountain Health Plan customer service number is (970) 243-7050 or 1-800-221-3943 toll free.
- The Colorado Access Health Plan customer service number is (303) 751-5903 (Denver Metro area) or 1-800-380-3726 toll free.