Frequently Asked Questions


If you require information from the Colorado State Patrol that has not been addressed on this page, please contact your local Colorado State Patrol Office.

Click here to locate your local office.


Compliments & Complaints


What does Internal Affairs Investigate?

The Internal Affairs Unit of the Colorado State Patrol investigates allegations of corruption and serious misconduct against employees of the Colorado State Patrol.

What Happens When a Complaint is Found to be True?

When the investigation of a complaint reveals that the charges are true and should be sustained against an employee of the CSP, the Chief ot the CSP may take one of the following actions, depending on the nature of the violation:
1. Reprimand the Employee.
2. Suspend the Employee without Pay.
3. Demote the Employee.
4. Terminate the Employee.

How are Complaints Investigated by the CSP Internal Affairs Unit?

The Internal Affairs Unit investigators, or another supervisors of the Colorado State Patrol will conduct a thorough investigation of the complaint. Witnesses and employees will be contacted and asked to give statements. Records and other evidence will be collected and analyzed. Every effort is made to collect all data pertaining to the complaint so that an impartial conclusion may be reached.

I would like to Compliment a Trooper or State Patrol Employee. How do I do that?

All compliments are recieved and processed by our Public Affairs department. They can be reached by phone, US mail, or email at:

Colorado State Patrol
Public Affairs
700 Kipling Street
Lakewood, CO 80215


I would like to file a complaint against a State Patrol employee. How do I do that?


Complaints are handled by the Major of the district where the incident happened, or if that is unknown, then the State Patrol Internal Affairs department deals with the issue. In order to have your complaint handled properly, please be sure to include the following information in your correspondence:

  • Your Full Name
  • Your Email Address
  • Your Mailing Address, including City, State and Zip Code
  • Your Telephone Number
  • If You received a citation during the incident, please include the citation number
  • Location of the Incident
  • Date of Incident
  • Employee or Trooper Name (if known)
  • And a clear detailing of the incident and your concerns

If you would like to file a complaint, click here to locate the contact information for the Major in charge of the district where your incident occured. If you do not know the location, please click here to contact the State Patrol Internal Affairs Department.



Main FAQ Page                                                                                              Colorado State Patrol Home Page