Accident Information

If you require information from the Colorado State Patrol that has not been addressed on this page, please contact your local Colorado State Patrol Office.

Click here to locate your local office.

Accident Reporting


Where do I Go to Fill Out an On-line Accident Report?


You can submit an online accident report using the Online Accident Reporting System, provided to you as a courtesy by the Colorado State Patrol. The reports sumbmitted online are filed with the Department of Revenue, and they can be contacted at 303.205.5600.


How do I Obtain a Copy of an Accident Report that was Investigated by the Colorado State Patrol?


If you would like to obtain a copy of your accident report, the following information is needed:


Name of the Driver
Exact Date of the Accident
Case Report Number
Location of the Accident, Including the County


Contact the Colorado State Patrol for associated costs. Payment must be made by check or money order made out to the Colorado State Patrol. Mail the above information, along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope, and payment to the Colorado State Patrol office where the accident occurred. For Colorado State Patrol office locations, click here.


Please note, generally, the accident report will be sufficient for your needs. There is an additional charge if you require copies of the entire file. In most cases additional information (this includes witness & driver statements, including your own) may only be released through the District Attorney's Office or by filing a motion for discovery to the County Court. Once an accident investigation is complete, the entire process (submittal, review, corrections, and approval) may take up to ten (10) working days. Your copy of the report will be mailed to you as soon as possible after your request and payment have been received.



I am a Law Enforcement Officer and would like to find information about the NEW accident report form, (DR 2447), that is taking effect on July 1, 2006.


If you are a Law Enforcement Officer who would like information about the NEW accident report form, DR 2447, revised (11/17/05), click here, or visit the Reports section of our web site. When visiting the Reports section of our web site, please be sure to review the DR 2447 Manual when you download the DR 2447. The new DR 2447, revised (11/17/05), will not be effective until July 1, 2006. Do not begin using the DR 2447 until July 1, 2006.



How Long do I have to Report an Accident?


Accidents are required by law, under CRS 42-4-1601 to be reported to the agency having jurisdiction immediately.


What does "Accident Alert" mean?


"ACCIDENT ALERT" is defined as those times when weather conditions are so severe that State Troopers and Police Officers are unable to respond to the large volume of motor vehicle crashes. Accident Alert is initiated on a jurisdictional and geographical basis, in other words some cities may be on accident alert whereas others may not depending on how the weather conditions are affecting their area.


While accident alert is in effect, Troopers and or Police Officers will only respond if the following circumstances exist:


  • Vehicles are disabled due to damage.
  • Accident involves a fatality or an injury requiring medical attention.
  • Alcohol or drugs are involved.
  • Accident is an alleged hit and run.
  • There is damage to public property other than wildlife, i.e. a highway stop sign.
  • Any property damage accident in which the reporting party is not or has no contact with the driver(s).


Most car radio stations report which areas are on accident alert. If you are involved in an accident and are not sure if your area is on accident alert, call the police.


If the accident does not meet the criteria for a police response, do the following:

  • The drivers involved are required to exchange information.
  • File your accident report as soon as possible.


A report can be filed either on-line or at the troop office or police station having jurisdiction where the accident occurred.


When and What do I Need to Report to my Insurance Company?


If you supplied the trooper with current insurance after the accident you will not be required to fill out a financial responsibility form. If you did not supply the trooper with current insurance you will need to fill out a financial responsibility form within ten (10) days of the accident. Notify your insurace company/agent regardless if you received a citation or another party in the accident received a citation. If you have an occupied child restraint seat in your vehicle at the time of the accident, please notify your insurance company for possible replacement. The seat could have been damaged during the accident, which would jeopardize the future safety of your child.


How do I Find Out Where my Vehicle was Towed After the Accident?


If your vehicle was towed from the accident scene and the Colorado State Patrol called the tow truck, you should have received a Colorado State Patrol Case Report form with the tow company's information on it. If you did not receive the Case Report form at the scene, it will be mailed to you at the trooper's earliest opportunity. This form will also contain the case report number in the upper right hand corner. If you require further information, please contact the trooper who investigated the accident.


To recover any personal items that may have been in your vehicle at the time that it was towed, please contact the tow company. If your vehicle has a hold placed on it for some investigatory reason, please contact the trooper that is investigating the accident for the release procedures.

Main FAQ Page                                                                                              Colorado State Patrol Home Page