Historic Wing

On May 7, 1999, a wing was added to the memorial which displays additional "historic" names that have been researched since the memorial was dedicated in 1979. Most of these officers died prior to 1945, and their deaths were not well documented.

Ora M Nason
Bent County

Bent County S.O. Deputy Ora M. Nason, 42, died on September 20, 1873 from an accidental bullet wound. He was patrolling in Las Animas on September 18, 1873 when his gun fell and hit the ground. He picked it up and while placing it in his waistband it discharged with the ‘ball striking him in the abdomen’. Deputy Nason had lived in Las Animas for 4 years. He was a veteran having served in the Army of the Potomac during the Civil War and even spent several months as a prisoner at Libby. Deputy Nason was survived by his brother.

Zach Allen
Rio Grande County

Rio Grande County S.O. Undersheriff Zack Allen, 41, died on August 9, 1875 when he was accidently shot and killed by another officer. Undersheriff Allen and a Del Norte police officer had arrested two men for stealing horses out of Lake City the previous day. The officers received word that friends of the horse thieves were going to try and free the prisoners. Allen had the Del Norte officer guard the jail that night and they arranged a sign so he would know if Allen returned. About 2 AM Undersheriff Allen returned to the jail but failed to give the sign when challenged on his approach. The jailer fired his shotgun and Allen was struck by about 20 pellets of ‘duck shot’. He acknowledged that he should have given the agreed upon sign, prior to his death about 6 hours later. Undersheriff Zack Allen had previously served one term as Sheriff of Huerfano County and two terms of Sheriff of Pueblo County. He was survived by his wife and 4 children.

Charles Kast
Las Animas

Las Animas Town Constable Charles Kast, 49, was shot and killed on February 8, 1876 while trying to break up a disturbance in a saloon called ‘Old John’s Dive’. A man refused to cooperate and pulled a gun shooting Constable Kast once in the chest. Kast returned fire without effect. The suspect escaped on horseback but was captured about 6 hours later and custody taken by the sheriff. The suspect was convicted and sentenced to the Territorial Prison at Canon City. Constable Kast was had served in that position for 2 years. He was born in Germany but was an 18 year veteran of the U. S. Army and had spent 26 years on the ‘frontier’. He spoke Spanish, German and English fluently.

Alvin Phippenney
Pueblo Police

Pueblo Police Officer Alvin Phippenney, 32, was shot and killed about noon on June 30, 1879 while trying to break up a disturbance in a saloon. He attempted to disarm a rancher who had been drinking heavily and they ended up wrestling in the saloon and out the door. Witnesses stated that 5 or 6 shots were fired. Officer Phippenney was shot in the back and died about 15 minutes later. The rancher was also shot, survived and escaped about a week later. Another man assisted the rancher and he left town right after the shooting. Neither suspect was ever caught. Officer Phippenney had lived in Pueblo for over 2 years. He was a widower with several small children and was planning to be married on the day of his death.

Constable Charles Faber
Bent County


Constable Faber was shot and killed by Clay Allison on December 21, 1876 at the Olympic Dance Hall in Las Animas. Clay and his brother John were in town from their home in Cimarron, New Mexico. They had been drinking and creating a disturbance when Deputy Faber responded, armed with a 10 gauge shotgun (Faber had earlier attempted to have the Allisons check their weapons, but they refused). Faber leveled the shotgun at John (probably mistaking him for the more dangerous Clay), when someone shouted "Look out!" As John began to turn, Faber fired and struck him in the chest and shoulder. Clay Allison immediately turned and fired four rounds at Faber, one of which struck him in the chest and killed him almost instantly. As Faber fell, the shotgun discharged again and struck John in the leg.


A coroner's jury convened on December 22 and determined that Charles Faber was in the performance of his official duty when he was shot by Clay Allison. Clay was subsequently arrested and tried for manslaughter, but had to be released when no witnesses appeared to testify against him. John Allison later recovered from his injuries. Clay died in a wagon accident near Pecos, New Mexico, on July 3, 1887.


Night Policeman Michael O'Neal
Kokomo Police Department


Night Policeman O'Neal was attempting to quiet a disturbance at a saloon in the small town of Kokomo on the night of July 22, 1880. After O'Neal asked the patrons in the saloon to quiet down, Charles Norton, without saying a word, drew his pistol and shot O'Neal through the abdomen. Ten minutes later, O'Neal died of his wounds. Charles Norton was later hanged by local townsmen without benefit of a trial.


Deputy Marshal James Bathurst
Salida Police Department


Deputy Marshal James (Buster) Bathurst and Marshal Baxter Stingley responded to a disturbance at Marm Bender's restaurant on May 30, 1883. Tom Evans and Thomas Neinmyer were threatening patrons, as well as the officers. As the officers approached Evans and Neinmyer, shots were fired. Stingley received a gunshot wound in the groin and Bathurst was shot through the chest. Bathurst died soon after the shooting, but Stingley survived. Evans was also killed during the shootout, but it is unknown what became ot Neinmyer.


Marshal Baxter Stingley
Salida Police Department


Marshal Stingley, who had recovered from a previous shooting in May 1883, was serving a warrant to Frank Reed for taking a prisoner away from the marshal. Stingley approached Reed, put a gun in the man's stomach, and ordered him to put his hands up. Instead, Reed reached for Stingley's gun, and after a brief struggle, shot the marshal. Stingley subsequently died of his wounds, although the exact date is still unknown; it is believed that he died some time after June 1883.


Casper Zweifel
Central Pueblo Marshal

Central Pueblo Marshal Casper Zweifel, 37, was stabbed and killed on July 25, 1884 by a prisoner he was escorting to jail. Marshal Zweifel had arrested the man for passing counterfeit silver dollars in a saloon. The silver dollars were made of pewter and were lighter than the real ones. The suspect had a knife with a 4 inch blade which he pulled out and used to stab the Marshal while they were walking to jail. The suspect stabbed the marshal twice in the groin, at the top of each leg, and then took off. Marshal Zweifel attempted to pursue but bled to death in just a few minutes as one of the stab wounds struck the femoral artery. A pursuit began but the suspect escaped and was never caught. Marshal Zweifel had just been appointed to his post earlier in the week. He was a veteran of the U. S. Army and had served in Missouri. He was born in Switzerland and was survived by his wife.


Deputy Bill Thompson
Las Animas County Sheriff's Office


Las Animas County Deputy Sheriff Bill Thompson was shot and killed in Boston, CO on February 16, 1888 while attempting to serve a warrant on the 'Band of Thirteen' gang led by Jack White. The gang was in Boston when Thompson arrived and Jack White met him, inquired about the warrant and shot Thompson breaking his neck. Deputy Thompson was formerly a dance house keeper in Dodge City. He was considered a 'hard case', but a brave officer.

White rode the range for four years on the 101 Ranch before he turned bad and headed his band of outlaws for about a year prior to this incident. They operated in the Neutral Strip, Kansas, Colorado and Texas. White was later captured, convicted and sentenced to prison. At the time of this incident, Las Animas County extended to the Kansas line. Baca County was created April 16, 1889. The old town of Boston would have been southeast of Springfield, CO and only existed from 1886 to 1892.

Marshal A. E. Cook
Como Marshal


On the night of April 7, 1894, Marshal Cook responded to the house of Levi J. Streeter to quiet a party that was being held at the home. Streeter answered the door and immediately opened fire on Cook. Cook was shot three times and his head was badly crushed by some type of blunt weapon. He was pronounced dead soon after the incident. Streeter apparently believed that the person at the door was the husband of a woman in the house. Streeter was found guilty of murder and was sentenced to death.


Deputy Sheriff John Myers
Gunnison County Sheriff's Office


On April 24, 1894, Deputy Sheriff Myers went to Doyleville to arrest Nick Myers (no relation) on a warrant. Nick Myers refused to go with the sheriff and retreated into his house. Inside, Myers seized his rifle and fired at the deputy, hitting him twice and inflicting mortal wounds. The murderer fled and was later killed by Sheriff E. Deering.


City Marshal Charles Emerson
Alamosa Police Department


On January 19, 1895, City Marshal Charles Emerson received a telegram informing him that Abe Taylor (25) and William Thompson (17) had stolen a load of oats from a ranch. When Taylor attempted to sell the oats, Marshal Emerson arrested him. Taylor denied having done anything wrong, but Emerson told him he would hold him a short time for investigation.


Emerson and Taylor then got onto a wagon to go to the barn. The lead horses refused to move, so Taylor and Thompson attempted to lead the horses by the reins. At this moment, Taylor took a gun from Thompson. Emerson saw the exchange and drew his gun. Taylor fired once at Emerson's right hand and Emerson returned fire. Taylor shot again, this time through Emerson's heart. The Marshal fell from his perch on the wagon, holding his chest. Emerson tried to get up from the ground and Taylor shot again. At this point, Emerson was too weak to stand, but he was able to prop his gun up and fired four rounds at Taylor.


Taylor ran and was pursued by townspeople and captured later that day. Emerson died two days later as a result of the wounds sustained in the gun battle. Taylor was tried and convicted of the murder of Marshal Emerson.

Night Marshal William Shea
Victor Marshal's Office


Bill Gibson and his brother Norman had been threatening to kill Night Marshal Shea on sight. Lew Vaneck warned Shea about the threats, and on August 11, 1895, the marshal went in search of the Gibson brothers. Shea found them at the outskirts of town, confronted the two, and took a revolver from Norman. Bill, who was seated on a fence, immediately jumped to the ground, began cursing at the marshal and shot him in the stomach. Shea died a few hours later.


Constable Benjamin Bish
Colorado Springs Police Department


Constable Bish had only been employed by the Colorado Springs Police Department for two months, and on the night of June 25, 1896 he reported for duty at approximately 10:00pm. His first assignment was to check the alley between Tejon Street and Cascade Avenue. At approximately 10:20pm, neighbors heard shots and two men were seen sprinting out of the alley. Bish had been shot in the left breast and died 35 minutes later.


The killer, William Clark, committed suicide in a coal shed soon after the murder. Clark's partner, Pat Coyne, was arrested four hours later and confessed that he was an accomplice to the murder of Constable Bish. He was later sentenced to life in the penitentiary.


Marshal Joseph Simons
Alamosa Police Department


On the night of September 7, 1897, two men were trying to gain entry into the home of O. P. Brown. Brown chased the men away, but one of them threatened to return and shoot him. A little later, Brown saw a man whom he supposed to be the man who had threatened him, and he fired at the man with a shotgun. This man was not the person who had threatened him; it was Marshal Simons who had come to investigate the disturbance. Simons exonerated Brown before he died, as the two had been friends for years.


Deputy Ernest Conrad
Deputy Sumner Whitney

Summit County Sheriff's Office


While several prominent citizens gambled at the Denver Hotel in Breckenridge on August 11, 1898, Pug Ryan and his gang entered the hotel. The gang originally intended to rob the hotel safe, but instead relieved the gamblers of their valuables at gunpoint. Pug and his thugs fled to a remote cabin near Kokomo after the robbery.


Summit County Sheriff Jerry Detweiler deputized Ernest Conrad, who had assisted with law enforcement duties in Breckenridge for years. Conrad hastened to Kokomo, where he deputized longtime Kokomo resident Sumner Whitney. The two men traveled to the cabin where the gang was hiding out.


After gaining entry to the cabin, Conrad and Whitney demanded that the gang return the stolen loot. Unwilling to comply, Ryan and his gang opened fire on the two deputies. Conrad died instantly. Whitney was mortally wounded, as were two of the bandits. Pug escaped unscathed, though not before robbing one of his dying henchmen. Whitney succumbed to his wounds a few weeks later.

Stuart K. Harvey
Denver Police Department

Shot and killed on Election Day, November 6, 1900 while monitoring a polling place at 2127 Larimer Street. Officer Harvey was a black ‘Special Policeman’ reflecting the segregation present in Denver at that time. He was working with Patrolman Samuel Carpenter and Special Policeman Charles Green when bogus (illegally appointed) Arapahoe County deputies started a disturbance and shot all three officers. Harvey died about 7 hours after being shot (shooting occurred just as the polls opened at 7AM) the same day. Carpenter and Green were both seriously injured. Carpenter later died from his injuries in 1910. Green recovered and later was appointed as a regular officer for Denver PD.

Samuel C. Carpenter
Denver Police Department

Shot on Election Day, November 6, 1900 and subsequently died from his injuries on January 17, 1910. Patrolman Carpenter was monitoring a polling place at 2127 Larimer St with Special Police Officers Stuart K. Harvey and Charles Green when bogus (illegally appointed) Arapahoe County deputies started a disturbance and shot all three officers. Carpenter was shot in the left thigh and the right foot. His left leg was amputated several days later and his right foot never healed properly. Officer Carpenter died in Los Angeles, California on January 17, 1910. His death certificate stated that he died as a result of the injuries he received just over 9 years earlier. His widow received a ‘widow’s pension’ after his death.

Officer E.T. Clark
Cripple Creek Police Department


Officer E. T. Clark, 35, died about 10:35p.m. on August 9, 1901. He was on patrol when he spotted the fire at Shideler and 'B' streets. He ran to the nearest fire box (#5) at 'B' and Thurlow streets to pull the alarm. He reached for the alarm with his right hand and was electrocuted by a 2,000 volt line. The ground was wet at the time and witnesses reported seeing blue flame burst from Clark's hand and heard him moan “Take me away -- box 5 -- Oh, my God,” and he fell to the ground. He was dead before the doctor could arrive. The electric light at this point is suspended from an iron arm which extends out from the pole and the cable with which it is raised and lowered when being trimmed ran down the pole alongside. When Clark reached for the alarm he came in contact with the cable which had been crossed with the other wires.


Officer E. T. Clark was a former firefighter for the city but was hired by Police Chief J. Knox Burton after the election the previous spring. Clark was survived by his wife and family.


Officer Silas Martz
Officer Elwin Slater
Pueblo Police Department


Officers Martz and Slater responded to a disturbance at the Palace Drug Store on October 7, 1903. Dr. C. O. Rice was intoxicated and threatening people with a .45 revolver. Martz entered the store and tried to talk to Dr. Rice, but as he stepped forward, Rice shot him in the neck. Slater then entered the drug store and tried to draw his weapon, accidentally discharging it and shooting himself in the leg. Martz died immediately following the incident, and Slater died a day later from his wound.


Deputy W. E. Hammon
Gunnison County Sheriff's Office


On the night of June 16, 1904, Deputy Hammon was attempting to arrest Tim Sullivan for being intoxicated and threatening to shoot his wife. Sullivan drew a pistol and fired twice, hitting Hammon once in the back as he was attempting to get away from Sullivan. Hammon was unarmed at the time of the shooting, and he died ten minutes later from the gunshot wound. Tim Sullivan was later tried, convicted, and sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Deputy Hammon.


Deputy Francisco Garcia
Las Animas County Sheriff's Office


Deputy Francisco Garcia was shot and killed on Thursday, October 19, 1905 by Dave Arguillo (or Arguello). The shooting took place at the Floyd Ranch on Johnson's Mesa, south of Trinchera, in New Mexico Territory. Arguillo was wanted for the July 23, 1903 murder of Mrs. Celia Dassart in Bowen. Las Animas County Sheriff Davis was trying to find two fugitives that he believed were hiding in the county. One of them was Arguillo and the other was Luz Apodaca who was wanted for the August 19, 1904 killing of a girl named Josepa Madrid, of Trinchera.


Sheriff Davis swore in Garcia as a deputy in the spring of 1905 because he knew both Arguillo and Apodaca. Deputy Garcia lived near Trinchera and may have been hunting a stray colt when he arrived, unarmed, at the Floyd Ranch on October 19. Arguillo had spent nearly two years of his fugitive time herding sheep east of Johnson's Mesa before he hired on for threshing time at the Floyd Ranch just two weeks before, using the name 'Will Saianz'. Arguillo had received a note from his cousin just a couple of days before stating that Garcia was looking for him. Deputy Garcia passed Arguillo in the dining room of the ranch and Arguillo threatened Garcia. It is thought that Garcia did not expect to find Arguillo and that he intended only to eat then leave and get assistance in making the arrest later. After Garcia finished his dinner he exited the dining room and Arguillo was waiting for him and fired a shot striking Garcia's hat. They clinched and Arguillo grabbed Garcia with his free arm and shot him below the heart. Arguillo was immediately overpowered and disarmed by six men and Colfax County Sheriff Littrell (in Raton) was notified. Deputy Jones responded to the ranch and transported Arguillo to Raton.


Deputy Garcia was able to make a statement, in his own handwriting, saying that he was properly deputized by Sheriff Davis in Trinidad to arrest both Arguello and Apodaca for their crimes of murder, but that he had no intention of killing either of them. The statement was confirmed by all witnesses who attested to the fact that Garcia was unarmed. Deputy Garcia was survived by his wife, two children and his father. It was determined that New Mexico would try David Arguillo for the murder of Deputy Garcia and he would only come back to Trinidad if his conviction failed in Raton or he wasn't hanged for the crime. Arguillo was hung in Raton on May 26, 1906.


Jailer Edward Innes
Mesa County


Jailer Innes died on September 27, 1906 from head injuries sustained during an attack by a prisoner in the Mesa County jail the previous day. The prisoner, George McGarvey, had been in jail for nearly six months, charged with assault on a child and awaiting the next district court term. McGarvey was a trustee when he attacked Innes with a 2x4 piece of planking and then escaped. He was recaptured near DeBeque on September 30.


McGarvey was tried, convicted and sentenced to death and died on the gallows in Cañon City on January 12, 1907. Edward Innes had been the former fire chief of Grand Junction and was well respected in the community.


Marshall J. Horace Frisbie
Lamar Marshal's Office


Lamar Night Marshal J. Horace Frisbie was shot and killed on December 26 th 1906 when he apparently surprised some men in the process of a burglary. They escaped but one was captured several days later, by Kiowa County officers, just over the state line near Astor, Kansas. Marshal Frisbie was survived by his wife and two sons.


Officer William Shellman
Pueblo Police Department


Officer Shellman was patrolling his beat on horseback during a severe electrical storm. He was struck by lightning and knocked off of his horse.

Officer Joseph Allen
Fort Collins Police Department


Officer Allen was found at 10 o'clock on the night of July 3, 1907, lying in a pool of blood on the road. He had been beaten by an unknown assailant while patrolling the "jungles" of Fort Collins. Allen's head had been crushed by the back of an ax or club. He died soon after he was discovered.

Deputy Antonio T. Shelby
Las Animas County Sheriff's Office


Deputy Antonio (Tony) Shelby, 42, was shot and killed in Aguilar, CO by a drunken Italian itinerant peddler named Frank (or Francisco) Cantania. Deputy Shelby was patrolling Aguilar near the Stagnolia Saloon, when he observed Cantania mistreat his own 10 year old son, Tom Cantania, by jerking him roughly from the buggy, causing the boy to cry. Shelby rebuked the elder Cantania. Shelby then took the lad to his house and returned to to find that Cantania was still being disorderly. Shelby approached Cantania who was sitting in his buggy. Shelby rested his right hand on the rear wheel when Cantania drew a gun and fired once striking Deputy Shelby in the throat. Cantania then whipped up his pony and headed out of Aguilar towards Hastings.


Cantania, 40, was captured about 8a.m. the next day, April 7, by Undersheriff Louis Kreeger and Constable Delfido Ribal on the road to Hastings. They recovered Cantania's gun which was described as 'a 41 caliber Colt, double action of blue steel material'. The coroners jury met on April 8 and determined that Deputy Shelby came to his death from a gun shot wound fired by Francisco Cantania and the evidence was that the killing was done with felonious intent.


Cantania was kept in the Las Animas County jail (Trinidad) because the residents of Aguilar wanted to lynch him. He was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison. Cantania (inmate # 7357) was declared insane in 1920 and died in prison Jan. 17, 1948. Deputy Shelby was survived by his wife and five children. Tom Cantania was taken in by Senator Casmiro Barela and raised on his ranch.

Night Marshal James Delmar Ellis
Brighton Police Department


Marshal Ellis was shot about 2:20am on March 6, 1908, when he happened upon three men attempting to burglarize the Brighton Post Office. He returned fire before walking 20 feet to the telephone office and requesting a doctor. The doctors sent Ellis to Denver on the 4:24am train, but he died en-route. Several men were detained or arrested for the crime, but there is no record of any convictions.


Night Patrolman Albert Smith
Cripple Creek Police Department


On November 10, 1908, Night Patrolman Smith responded to a disturbance between George Goode and Bob Dalton outside the Turf Saloon. The two men were quarreling over a woman, and as Smith approached, Goode drew his gun. Smith said, "You have to stop dashing guns on the street". Goode responded, "I'll show you whether or not you can make me put up my gun." Goode then fired a fatal shot at Smith and subsequently shot himself in the head.


Officer Frederick Barner
Pueblo Police Department


On the evening of March 21, 1909, Officer Barner attempted to arrest two suspects thought to have committed several burglaries. After informing the two that they were going to be arrested, Barner approached the police call box to summon the patrol wagon. One of the suspects, the taller of the two, stepped back, pulled a revolver and shot Barner through the heart. Barner died instantly. The two suspects fled on foot and successfully eluded police.

Detective John Dunleavy
Pueblo Police Department


Detective Sergeant Dunleavy was walking his daughter home at the end of his shift on the night of July 21, 1909. He was approached by two men who began to insult his daughter. Dunleavy pulled her behind him and stepped forward. One of the men drew his gun and shot Dunleavy three times.


The detective was rushed to the hospital and lived for four days before he succumbed to his wounds. An investigation determined that Dunleavy's murder was a planned assassination by several individuals because of his police work. Three suspects were in custody but the outcome is unknown.

Night Policeman Charles E. Brockman
Fort Collins Police Department


Night Policeman Brockman was on foot patrol in the downtown area of Fort Collins on the evening of December 17, 1911, when he came upon a victim of a stabbing. Brockman then pursued the suspect, Lawrence Garcia, on foot for a short distance. Garcia fatally wounded Brockman with a handgun as the officer attempted to arrest him. Garcia was later captured, charged and convicted for the murder of Brockman.


Night Marshal Frank Peak
Loveland Police Department


Night Marshal Frank Peak was shot and killed July 13, 1915 at about 2:15am. It has been speculated that the murder was the result of a disagreement between Peak and those he had encountered in the course of performing his duties that night. His body was found on the bridge over the English Ditch on South Lincoln Avenue by sugar beet workers on their way to work. Two bullets had entered his body and one grazed his right temple. It appeared that he had dragged himself from the center of the bridge to the foot bridge at the side before he succumbed to his wounds. The case has never been solved.


Deputy Town Marshal Victor Helburg
Louisville Police Department


Victor Helburg was the Town Clerk, Deputy Town Marshal and Justice of the Peace for the Town of Louisville in October of 1915. He was shot and killed on October 28, 1915 by fruit peddler Frank Balistrere after he requested that Balistrere purchase a license to sell goods on the street. Balistrere drew a rifle and fired two shots at Helburg. The first shot missed, but the second struck him in the head and killed him instantly. Balistrere fled and was never apprehended.

William H. Cabler
Denver Police Department

Shot and killed on April 21, 1916 while pursuing two men that had attempted to rob a Burlington Northern trainman at the Denver Union Stockyards. One of the men hid near an embankment and shot Cabler off his horse near 46th and Lafayette. The two men were captured later that day and subsequently convicted in the case. Officer Cabler was a mounted officer assigned to patrol the stockyards. He was survived by his wife.

Chief of Detectives John Rowan
Colorado Springs Police Department


Detective Rowan received information that a group of bank robbers was at a filling station, so he approached the group, accompanied by two armed citizens. A member of the gang who had remained in the vehicle pulled a weapon and shot Rowan, killing him instantly.

William Wesley Green
Pueblo County Sheriff’s Office

Shot and killed on October 15, 1918 by an inmate escaping from the Pueblo County Jail. The inmate may have obtained the gun from his wife when she visited him in the jail and brought him a change of clothes and a basket of food. The escaped inmate was later captured, convicted and died in the state prison in Canon City. Deputy Green was survived by his wife and two children. Prior to taking the job of ‘Turnkey’ for the county, William W. Green had spent nearly 25 years as a detective for the Pueblo Police Department.

Patrolman Jeff Evans
Pueblo Police Department


In the early morning hours of September 13, 1919, Patrolman Evans was patrolling his beat when a man stepped out of the darkness and shot him in the head and shoulder. Evans died instantly. Two men were later arrested and charged with murder, but before the men could be tried, they were lynched by a mob of townspeople in retaliation for the murder of Evans.


Undersheriff William Stretcher
Boulder County Sheriff's Office


On March 18, 1920, Undersheriff Stretcher, along with Boulder Police Chief Lawrence (L. P.) Bass, Boulder Fire Chief Emil Johnson, Joe D. Salter (16 year old son of City Manager W. D. Salter), William W. McAllister (an ex-fire chief) and Lester DeBacker (realtor and prominent Rotarian) were responding to a fire in a Boulder police car driven by Fire Chief Johnson. The car collided with a fire truck, which caused the vehicle to catapult in the air and roll over several times. Bass and Salter died at the scene of the accident. Stretcher died four days later from a fractured skull, sustained in the accident.


Night Marshal Harvey Calvin Neese
Cripple Creek Police Department


Shortly after 2:00a.m in the morning of July 3, 1920, Night Marshal Cal Neese received a report that William Sloan (or Sloane) had obtained a quantity of liquor and had expressed that he was prepared to shoot up the town and had hit another man over the head with his gun. Night Marshal Neese responded to make the arrest and upon approaching Sloan on Bennett Avenue, advised him that he was under arrest. Sloan immediately turned, drew his weapon and fired twice at Marshal Neese, with one shot striking him through the lung near the heart. The mortally wounded Marshal was able to grab Sloan's .45 revolver before collapsing in the street. Night Marshal Harvey Calvin Neese died about seven hours later at Sisters Hospital.


William Sloan, 38, was immediately arrested and subsequently charged with first degree murder. He was reported to be under the influence of intoxicants when the shooting occurred. Sloan was employed as a firefighter for the city of Cripple Creek at that time. He was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in the State Penitentiary at Canon City, arriving December 1, 1920. His inmate number was 11125. His sentence was commuted by Governor Ed Johnson to a term that would allow for his release on parole April 1, 1934. Sloan was paroled May 5, 1934. He died July 31, 1940. Sloan had been befriended by the Neese brothers when they worked at the mines and was considered a friend of Marshal Neese.


Cal and three of his brothers had moved from Coffee County, Tennessee to Cripple Creek in the mid 1890's and worked in the mines there. Two of the brothers moved on west about 10 years later but Cal and his brother Art remained in Colorado with Art owning a dry goods business in Denver. Cal was born May 15, 1866 in Armstrong County, PA. He was married in 1907 but was single at the time of his death. Cal was appointed Night Marshal in Cripple Creek on April 25, 1911. He was being paid $55.00 a month at the time of his death. Harvey Calvin Neese was buried July 7, 1920 in Crown Hill Cemetery in Denver. He was survived by numerous siblings, nieces and nephews.


A Neese family legend had it that Art visited Sloan at the Cripple Creek jail shortly after the murder.. He promised to kill him if her ever got out of jail. Art was very upset with the early release of Sloan in 1934 and was waiting for him outside the prison -- complete with two pistols -- just as he had promised he would be. Sloan refused to draw on him and refused to pick up a pistol. Art was 65 years old at the time and had severe arthritis. He dropped his gun and both men ended up in tears over a senseless act years before. Art Neese died May 2, 1942.



Patrolman Addison O. Hinsdale Jr.
Pueblo Police Department


On October 3, 1920, Patrolman Hinsdale was accidentally shot by a fellow officer who was shooting at a hit and run driver. Patrolman Hinsdale succumbed to his wounds the next day. The driver of the car was later arrested.


Night Marshal John Henry Lindamood
Fountain Police Department


Marshal Lindamood was shot and killed at about 1:30am on April 8, 1921, apparently by a group that intended to rob the Fountain National Bank. It appeared that Lindamood followed one suspect down the street and tried to talk to him, but was shot once in the heart from the shadows. The suspects escaped but left behind some of their tools and a shotgun. Lindamood's body was not discovered until 6:00am by two people driving through town to Pueblo. The murder remains unsolved.

Clyde McDonald
Monte Vista Police Department

Shot and mortally wounded on December 10, 1921 and subsequently died from his injuries two days later on December 12, 1921. Night Marshal McDonald has arrested a man for disturbing the peace and drunkenness in a pool hall in Monte Vista and was walking him to jail when the man pulled a gun and shot Marshal McDonald. The suspect was captured on December 14th, and after conviction was sentenced to the state prison in Canon City.

Deputy Blaine J. Wilson
Logan County Sheriff's Office


On the night of May 22, 1922, Deputy Wilson attempted to arrest four men for selling bootleg whiskey. As he did so, Wilson was shot once by Clarence Waters and fell to the floor. One of the other men, Guy Bray, took Wilson's gun and shot him a second time in the chest near the heart. Wilson lived long enough to tell other officers what happened and who his two assailants were. He died in the early morning hours of May 23, 1922 on the way to the hospital. Wilson had been a deputy for only three weeks.


Colorado Ranger Eddie Bell
Colorado Rangers


On Saturday, October 14, 1922, Colorado Rangers Bell and George O. Jennings received an anonymous call about a robbery that was about to happen. The two jumped on their motorcycle (with sidecar) and responded to the area where the suspects were believed to be. A little while later, passersby found the two men beaten and unconscious. It is theorized that they were run off the road, beaten and their wallets and revolvers stolen. Both of the men had multiple and massive injuries. Bell underwent surgery, but died on October 16, 1922 before regaining consciousness.


Deputy Sheriff Leonard Higgins
Adams County Sheriff's Department


Deputy Sheriff Higgins, while riding his motorcycle in the rain on October 11, 1923, ran into a beet truck and was thrown into the road. Higgins was knocked unconscious, and while lying in the road, he was run over by a car and then a heavy truck. He was transported to the hospital, but died soon after from a skull fracture and a crushed chest.

Jack Rose and Henry Robart
Walsenburg Police/State Prohibition

Walsenburg Police Chief Jack Rose, 27, and State Prohibition Officer Henry E. Robart, 38, were both shot and killed on January 15, 1924 while serving a search warrant for an illegal still at a residence in Walsenburg. They were ambushed upon entry by a subject that then fled the scene. The suspect was located at a rural ranch three days later but committed suicide, with the same gun he used to kill the officers, prior to being captured. Chief Rose was a veteran of the ‘Great War’ and had been gassed in the trenches just a month prior to the end of the war. He had been Chief for 8 months at the time of his death. Officer Robart was a former construction worker and had been a prohibition officer for just 4 months before his death. Each officer was survived by his wife and three children.


Town Marshal Clem Eller
Oak Creek Police Department


On Saturday evening, November 5, 1927, Marshal Eller was called to the Oak Creek school house, where a dance was being held, on a report that W. R. M. Sullivan was engaged in bootlegging and possibly drunk. As the Marshal approached Sullivan, he fired one shot that struck Eller in the waist and passed through a kidney. Eller was rushed to the local hospital, but he died late Sunday, November 6.


Sullivan escaped but was captured by Deputies Andrew Black and Myron Donald the next day. A coroner's inquest on November 8 found that Sullivan caused the death of Marshal Eller. The District Court case against Sullivan began on November 16 and concluded the next day when the jury found him guilty. Sullivan was sentenced to life imprisonment on November 17. This is one case where justice was swift!


Night Marshal Charles Pebley
Delta Police Department


Acting Night Marshal Pebley was out patrolling on the night of July 14, 1928. He was in the area of Second and Meeker, when shots were heard by J. E. Moore who lived by that intersection. Moore looked out a second floor window and saw three men standing over a man lying on the sidewalk. He heard one of the men say the man on the sidewalk was dead and they should get out of there. Another shot was fired and the men ran across the street.


Moore called for the night marshal, but the operator could not locate him. He called Sheriff Vanaken, who responded to the scene and discovered that the man on the sidewalk was Night Marshal Pebley. Bloodhounds were called to search for the murderers, but the killers have never been apprehended.

Deputy Charles E Gibbs
Routt County Sheriff's Office


Routt County Deputy Charles E. Gibbs died in a snow slide, March 21st 1929, while serving 'papers of ejectment' at the Block coal mine, 22 miles NW of Steamboat Springs. He had taken a team (horses and wagon) to the Mosher ranch and was walking the last two miles to the mine when a snow slide engulfed him. A search from the ranch was begun when he failed to return and he was found standing upright with about 5' of snow covering him. He was survived by his wife and six children.


Kenneth Meenan
National Park Service

National Park Service Ranger Kenneth Meenan, 22, died on August 13, 1934 from injuries he received in a motor vehicle crash on August 5, 1934. Seasonal Ranger Meenan was driving his NPS motorcycle north from the Grand Lake entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park when he was involved in a collision with a car. His left foot was nearly crushed and even amputating his leg failed to stop the septic poisoning. Ranger Meenan was from Oak Park, Illinois and starred in Football at Northwestern University.


Night Policeman Chris J. Fahey
Leadville Police Department


On the night of October 6, 1934, Policeman Fahey and Captain Martin Skala, along with three other passengers, were searching for a stolen vehicle. During the search, their car collided with another vehicle and Fahey was ejected from the vehicle along with one other passenger. Fahey died soon after he reached the hospital. Skala and the other passengers were in critical condition, but survived.


Deputy Oscar W. Meyer
Eagle County


Jim Sherbondy, age 17, was a suspect in an armed robbery in Chicago and was believed to be hiding with his family in Red Cliff. Deputy Meyer, who lived in Red Cliff, was notified on November 2, 1937 that Sherbondy was seen leaving town with his family. Meyer followed the family and caught up with their pickup just west of Tennessee Pass. When Meyer forced the pickup to a stop, Sherbondy exited the vehicle with a gun and shot Meyer twice in the chest. Sherbondy fled in Meyer's vehicle, but was captured three weeks later in Hastings, Nebraska.


Sherbondy was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. In October 1969, he walked away from a prison honor camp and was subsequently killed in a shootout with Denver police officers on November 28, 1969.


Patrolman Jacob G. Benner
Denver Police Department


Patrolman Jacob G. Benner, 28, was injured Saturday, November 6, 1937 during a gambling raid at 3142 Osage Street. He was assisting Detectives Sam Finnie and J. H. Wells in this raid as they were responding to a report that illegal gambling was going on. Thirteen people were arrested at this location. Police said the men were “shooting craps”.


Officer Benner jumped on a table in the raid and his left foot went through the top of the table. His leg injury wasn't believed to be serious and he continued to work until November 27 and went to the hospital on December 3. A blood vessel had been ruptured and blood poisoning had set in. Officer Benner died on Monday, February 14, 1938 at St. Anthony's Hospital as a result of this injury.


Patrolman Benner was born July 7, 1909 and joined the Denver Police Department on January 1, 1936. He was survived by his wife Sally, his parents and nine siblings and is buried at Fairmount cemetery.


Chief Deputy Fidel Aguirre
Huerfano County Sheriff's Office


On Friday, May 13, 1938, the owner of a dance hall in Gardner requested security for a dance scheduled for the next evening (May 14) from 7-9 p.m. The deputy that normally worked this type of event was off so Chief Deputy Fidel Aguirre got the job. This was an extra-duty assignment for which Deputy Aguirre was to be paid $2.75. The Peralta brothers (Pete, 31 and Paul, 26) were in attendance and had been drinking. Somehow Deputy Aguirre was lured outside by one of the brothers and the other was waiting there. He was severely beaten suffering a skull fracture, broken jaw and a large gash to his throat. It is believed that they used on old fence post with a large spike in one end. Deputy Aguirre died about 3 PM, on Sunday, May 15, without regaining consciousness. The Peralta brothers were captured at their home in Farisita (near Gardner) on May 16. Investigation determined that Deputy Aguirre had previously cited the Peralta brothers for rustling sheep several weeks before.


The trial of the Peralta's began on October 4, 1938 and concluded with their conviction for 'Murder in the First Degree' on October 7. Witnesses established that the brothers were drunk that night and they were also seen fleeing from the scene. An eyewitness stated that he saw Paul strike Aguirre with the post and pleaded with him not to strike the deputy again. The FBI was called in to examine the fence post and clothing and linked the brothers to the crime scene. Both brothers testified, admitted that they knew Deputy Aguirre but they denied knowing he would be at the dance. Paul said he was too drunk to remember what happened. Pete denied the killing. Both were sentenced to life in prison at hard labor.


Deputy Aguirre was survived by his wife and eight children. He was also serving on the Huerfano County High School Board at the time of his death. A fund set up to help the family raised $300.00. Pablo (Paul) Peralta, inmate #20668, and Placedes (Pete) Peralta, #20669, had their sentences commuted by Governor Walter Johnson to '35 years to life' on January 8, 1951. Paul Peralta died in prison on October 9, 1951 of respiratory cardiac failure. Pete was paroled on August 11, 1954 and was discharged from parole on June 15, 1966.

Marshal Franklynn Dean
Mancos Police Department


On the night of October 9, 1939, Marshal Dean asked townsman Jim Stevens to go home for the night because he had been drinking and was getting rowdy. Stevens went home but returned later and informed several townspeople that he had a gun. The townspeople then warned Marshal Dean about the weapon.


Dean located Stevens and was attempting to secure him in the "cooler" for the night, but as Dean was unlocking the padlock on the jail cell, Stevens struck him in the right side of the head. Stevens then took Dean's revolver and shot him in the head, killing him instantly. Jim Stevens was charged with first degree murder and sentenced to the death penalty.


Chief Morris Dolan
Cripple Creek Police and Fire Departments


Chief Morris Dolan, 30, was killed in an arson fire at the Weiner Building in Cripple Creek early on Friday morning, August 23, 1940. Dolan was notified of the fire about 2a.m. by a telephone alarm and responded to the rooming house on Bennett Avenue. He observed smoke and flames coming from the windows, sent for 'gas masks', and then entered the building wearing a gas mask. When he didn't reappear Victor Fire Chief Armour Olson and Firefighter June Hack, put on their masks, then went in several times before finally finding Dolan unconscious on the second floor. He died soon after reaching the Cripple Creek hospital. Glen Rogers, Cripple Creek Night Marshal, was overcome by smoke at the scene, seemed to recover, then later Friday afternoon he suffered a heart attack. Rogers was said to be out of danger the next day.


The investigation determined that the fire was set by a Cripple Creek firefighter who admitted that he had been a firebug since age seven. William Hailey, 27, confessed to starting 11 fires in his life, four of them in Cripple Creek. He pleaded guilty to second degree murder and was sentenced to 60 years to life in the State Penitentiary (inmate number 21764). His sentence was commuted by Governor Vivian in 1946 and Hailey was paroled on October 10, 1950 and released from parole June 15, 1966.


Chief Dolan was appointed Police Chief and Fire Chief on February 1, 1939 and was still serving in both positions at his death. He was survived by his wife, Lorna and 2 young children, two sons from an earlier marriage and six brothers. Prior to being appointed Chief he had served as the night marshal for Cripple Creek.


Deputy Sheriff Earl J. Bucher
Weld County Sheriff's Office


Deputy Sheriff Bucher was responding to what he thought was a routine call. Bucher walked up to the house of Fred Bernhardt to speak with the man regarding a complaint that was lodged by Bernhardt's stepson. Bernhardt, however, poked his shotgun out the door and shot Bucher in the head.


A posse was formed and a gunfight ensued that lasted about an hour. Bernhardt was later found dead from a gunshot wound inflicted by the posse's weapons.


Officer Louis Box
Rocky Ford Police Department


On April 18, 1945, Officer Box was stabbed in the throat and killed by Private Jackson Hart, a soldier assigned to the La Junta Airfield. Box had confronted Hart for following a 15 year old girl after she had left the Grand Theater.


Private Hart was arrested and convicted in an Army Court Martial. He admitted stabbing Officer Box, but claimed it was self-defense. Hart was sentenced to death, but only served 14 years in prison, apparently due to sentencing changes at clemency hearings. He was released in 1959.


Chief E. Clarence Martin
Las Animas Police Department


On April 20, 1947, Chief Martin died of a heart attack which was thought to have been caused by his day's activities. It is believed his heart ailment was aggravated by a disturbance during which he arrested two drunks. He had the heart attack soon after he returned home from work and died a short time later.


Marshall John Armour Stitt
Paonia Marshall's Office


Paonia Night Marshall John Armour Stitt was shot and killed on September 27th 1952 when he responded to a domestic dispute. Upon approaching the house he was shot once in the chest but managed to disarm his assailant before falling to the ground. He was transported by witnesses to a doctor's office where he died. Other witnesses held the suspect, Dave Gannon, and he was arrested. Marshall Stitt was survived by his wife and eleven children.


Chief Richard Ware
Evans Police Department


James Gallegos was upset about a summons he had received from State Patrolman Charles Probasco on Sunday, September 20, 1953. He was even more upset at Chief Ware, who had provided information to the Patrol and was scheduled to testify against Gallegos at trial later in the week. On Monday morning, September 21, Gallegos knocked on the door of Chief Ware's home and gave a phony story about his car being rammed by another vehicle. Chief Ware came out into the driveway to talk to Gallegos.


No one saw what happened next, but the investigation showed that Gallegos shot the unarmed Chief in the back and the head, before Ware turned the gun on Gallegos and shot him in the temple. Both men were dead in the driveway by the time neighbors and family responded to the gunshots.

Assistant Police Chief Guy Everett O'Neal
Monte Vista Police Department


Assistant Chief O'Neal and Officer R. V. Keys responded to a "shots fired" call on the evening of October 23, 1953. As the two officers approached the door of the house where the shots reportedly came from, Rudy Morgan shot at them through the glass front door. O'Neal was hit by one of the shots and was able to run down the sidewalk to the far edge of the lot before falling. Keys ran across the street to another yard before he also fell as the result of gunshot wounds.


Rudy Morgan also killed his wife Betty, 35, his son Johnny, 7, his daughter Tamara, 5, and his mother-in-law, Mrs. Nannie Deitrich, 62, before killing himself. Officer Keys survived the shooting.

Edward Smerdel
Denver Police

Denver Police Officer Edward Smerdel, 34, died on July 16, 1961 as a result of an accidental gunshot wound while cleaning his weapon at the Five Points substation on Welton St. He was attempting to clean his gun prior to an inspection the next day and inadvertently shot himself in the chest. Officer Smerdel had been with the Denver Police Department for over 11 years and had received sixteen commendations including one for saving the life of a 3 year old. He was survived by his wife and daughter.


Nathanial R Lacy
National Park Service

National Park Service Ranger Nathanial R. Lacy, 43, died on June 23, 1966 as a result of a solo motorcycle accident about 300 yards west of the Fall River entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. He usually checked out the Aspenglen campground, and the horses stabled at Little Horseshoe Park, each evening. The accident was not discovered until the next morning. He had gone off the road but the reason was never determined. Ranger Lacy started with the National Park Service in 1947 as a seasonal ranger. He also served in Parks in South Dakota, North Dakota and the Virgin Islands before coming to Rocky Mountain National Park in 1963. Ranger Lacy was survived by his wife and three children.

Captain Vincent Swiskoski
Walsenburg Police Department


Captain Swiskoski and Chief Mike Rampa responded to a domestic dispute on December 22, 1967, at the home of Joseph Medina. Medina had apparently threatened his wife with a rifle. As Swiskoski approached the door to the house, Medina came out on the front porch with a rifle and ordered him to halt. Rampa asked Medina to put down the rifle so they could talk. Instead, Medina pointed the rifle at Swiskoski and fired. Swiskoski fell to the ground and Officer Serrato, who was now at the scene, fired at Medina and hit him in the stomach. Swiskoski was taken to Huerfano County Memorial Hospital, where he was declared dead.


Officer Paul D. Wilson
Denver Police Department


On September 14, 1968, Officer Wilson was accidentally shot and killed in the District One station of the Denver Police Department. One officer was showing a gun to another when the shooting occurred.

Deputy Sheriff Larry Eugene Smith
Otero County Sheriff's Office


Deputy Smith was called to a family disturbance on the evening of December 27, 1973. Upon arrival, Smith was confronted by James Nunnaley who was brandishing a shotgun. Smith asked Nunnaley to put the weapon down. Instead, Nunnaley fired at the deputy and Smith returned fire almost simultaneously. Smith was killed by a shotgun wound to the head and Nunnaley died several days later from his wounds.


Deputy Sheriff John Derek Osborne
Denver Sheriff's Office


On August 6, 1974, Deputy Osborne was just beginning his nightly rounds at the Denver County Jail. Two inmates, Ronald Vashone and Charles Samples, attacked another guard and managed to free themselves from their cell. Then they attacked an unsuspecting Osborne by cutting his throat with a homemade four inch blade. Osborne was transported to Denver General Hospital where he later died from the stab wound to the neck. The two suspects were eventually apprehended.

Special Agent Dean L. McLaughlin
Union Pacific Railroad Police


Special Agent Dean McLaughlin, 62, was found shot to death in his car in the parking lot of the Union Pacific building at 1735 19th Street in Denver about 7p.m. Police were called to the building on a report of a sniper after a witness called to report gunshots. After locating Agent McLaughlin they discounted that theory. Evidence indicated that someone had come up and fired two shotgun blasts into McLaughlin's car as he was pulling out of the parking place. He was killed instantly.


Agent McLaughlin had just flown back to Denver from UP's headquarters in Omaha and had been dropped off at his car by another agent. He was armed but in plain clothes at the time. The vehicle was his UP police vehicle. Investigation determined that after the other agent had left, McLaughlin was approached by another (off-duty) Special Agent who pulled a shotgun from behind his back and shot McLaughlin. The shooter was later identified as Joseph White who was subsequently arrested, charged and convicted of the murder of Agent McLaughlin. Apparently White had just received a negative performance appraisal from McLaughlin and was despondent over that.


At the time of his death McLaughlin had just been elected (March 23, 1977) as President of the Colorado Law Enforcement Officer's Association. He was survived by his wife and three children.


Special Agent Larry E. Boles
Union Pacific Railroad Police


Special Agent Larry Boles, 28, interrupted a burglary in progress, at a boxcar, in the Union Pacific rail yard near 46th Ave and Race Street. Boles had notified Denver Police that he was holding a suspect and requested backup. Arriving officers found Agent Boles dead. Possibly another suspect came up from behind and struck him. He had been shot 5 times and struck numerous times with a 2x4 board. Agent Boles had served one year with the Union Pacific. Prior to that he had been an Adams County Deputy Sheriff for three and a half years serving on their dive team.


Agent Boles was survived by his wife, of less than 1 year, Tamera and a daughter he never met, who was born after his death. He was also survived by his parents, two brothers and two sisters.

Reserve Officer Richard E. Hart
Firestone Police Department


On October 16, 1982, Officer Hart stopped Bernie Jacobs on suspicion of driving while under the influence of alcohol. When Hart reached into Jacobs' car to remove the keys, Jacobs sped way. Hart was thrown to the ground and was seriously wounded as a result of the incident. Hart succumbed to his injuries two days later.

Reserve Officer Larry F. McMaster
Montrose Police Department


On April 23, 1983, Montrose police officers responded to a man with a gun call at the No Delay Bar. Officer McMaster and Officer Steve Keep responded to the rear of the bar, while two other officers responded to the front. Keep, McMaster and Montrose County Sheriff's Deputy G. Jackson entered the rear door of the bar. There was a large crowd of patrons in the bar and the officers detected no signs of a disturbance, nor any indication of danger. As the officers approached the bar area, Hurbano Garcia turned and fired three shots at the officers. Two of the shots struck Keep and the third struck McMaster in the head. Officer Keep recovered from his wounds, but Officer McMaster died two days later.


Deputy William J. Truesdale
Jefferson County


On June 18, 1986, Deputy Truesdale was working off duty as a bank guard at Citywide Bank, 3345 South Wadsworth. At about 11:00am, the 53-year old deputy confronted two men in ski masks when they entered the bank and was shot twice in the chest. Deputy Truesdale was pronounced dead at St. Anthony's hospital when resuscitation efforts failed.


The two men, later identified as Anthony Lucero and Richard Borrego, fled the bank without taking anything. Borrego was arrested later that day and Lucero was arrested several weeks later on a reservation in South Dakota. Both men were convicted of First Degree Murder and other charges, and sentenced to life in prison.


Later investigation revealed that Lucero was in the Jefferson County Jail twelve days earlier while Deputy Truesdale was working his shift, and before Lucero bonded out. Later statements by Lucero made it clear he knew he had killed a police officer.

Deputy Norman Anthony Silva II
Denver Sheriff Department


Deputy "Tony" Silva was accidentally shot and killed on February 3, 1993, just after Silva and his partner, Deputy John Cordova, had delivered a prisoner to the city jail at 1331 Cherokee Street. Deputy Silva had picked up Deputy Cordova's gun and unloaded it for safety reasons. When the two officers reached their van, Silva showed the bullets in his hand and handed the gun to Cordova, butt first and with the cylinder open. Cordova snapped the cylinder closed with a flick of his hand and inadvertently pulled the trigger. The gun fired and Deputy Silva was struck by the discharge. Both officers had believed the gun was unloaded, but it appears that one of the bullets had hung up in the cylinder, leading to the tragic accident.

Senior Biologist James Olterman
Wildlife Manager – Colorado Division of Wildlife


Wildlife Manager James Olterman, 57, died when the Cessna 185 he was piloting crashed near Hunts Peak in Fremont County on September 4, 2002. The crash occurred approximately 6:55a.m.while Olterman was on an aerial fish stocking mission of Hunts Lake, and other alpine lakes, west of Howard, CO. Olterman had stocked Hunts lake before and had discussed the plan with other DOW pilots prior to his takeoff. Winds were calm when he departed the Salida airport about 6:40a.m. that morning but winds increased and other pilots were unable to raise him on the radio to warn him of the increasing downdraft's. Later they picked up an ELT signal and began searching for the plane. It was found about mid-morning on a ridge (elevation 11,662 feet) northeast of Hunts Lake. Pilot James Olterman died upon impact. A passenger, Brandon White, 23, survived the impact with injuries to his arm, shoulder and back. He was found about a mile from the crash scene by search and rescue and transported by horse and ATV and reached Howard at 5:45p.m., before being transported to the Salida hospital.


Some search and rescue personnel stayed at the crash site overnight to protect the scene. Olterman's remains were recovered the next day. The Cessna 185 (N24GS) was owned by the Division of Wildlife. James Olterman was a fully commissioned Wildlife Officer and his duties included biological and enforcement missions. He was survived by his wife, Robin, and three children. James Olterman was a Vietnam veteran and had been with the Division of Wildlife for 30 years.


Special Agent Greg R. Boss
US Postal Service – Office of the Inspector General


Special Agent Greg Boss, 35, was killed as a result of a felonious traffic crash November 8, 2005. Jason Reynolds, 34, of Parker was recklessly driving a Jeep westbound on E-470, tailgating other traffic, when he came up behind a Toyota 4Runner being driven by Kelvin Norman. After Norman changed lanes, Reynolds passed Norman, pulled in front of him and hit his brakes. Norman swerved trying to miss Reynolds before traveling through the median, rolling his vehicle and landing upside down on a Ford Explorer driven by Boss who was traveling eastbound on E-470. The crash occurred just east of Parker Road and resulted in the deaths of SA Boss of Centennial and Mr. Norman, 50 of Highlands Ranch.


Reynolds was arrested about one month later, after an investigation, and after he was observed committing additional aggressive driving actions. He was also under the influence of marijuana when arrested. Reynolds had been the subject of three prior complaints about his aggressive driving and he had received a letter from the Colorado State Patrol about six weeks prior to this crash. Reynolds was subsequently charged and convicted by a jury, in January of 2007, of two counts of first degree murder with extreme indifference, two counts of vehicular homicide with aggravating circumstances and two counts of careless driving resulting in death. In April 2007, Jason Reynolds was sentenced to two consecutive life terms in prison. Reynolds conviction was upheld by the Colorado Court of Appeals on March 18, 2010.


At the time of his death, Special Agent Boss was actively working two different investigations with other agencies and was driving his assigned enforcement vehicle. He had been with the USPS-OIG for five years. Special Agent Boss was survived by his parents, two brothers, grandmother, two nieces and a nephew.


According to some legal experts, this case appears to have set a new precedent involving road rage situations that cause the death of others. A first degree murder charge is now an option when sufficient facts support it.

Return to Top