Dealer for Resale Title
Where to apply:
- The State Title Section issues Dealer for Resale titles over the counter on the same day for a fee of $25 each and may be limited to four transactions per dealership per day.
- The county motor vehicle office can issue Dealer for Resale titles for a fee of $7.20. The county motor vehicle office cannot issue Dealer for Resale titles on the same day if the supporting surrendered document is an out-of-state title. All out-of-state titles must be checked through the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System program at the State Title Section. The title will be verified and mailed from the State Title Section.
Colorado Dealer Must Provide:
- Secure and Verifiable Identification
- The current title or applicable supporting ownership documents, properly endorsed to the dealership by the previous owner.
- Odometer disclosure must be completed.
- If the vehicle was titled in another state, fill out the Verification of Vehicle Identification Number form, completed by either:
- A Colordao law enforcement officer,
- A licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer or
- A licensed Colorado emissions testing station
When an out-of-state title or registration is assigned to the Colorado dealer, the Colorado Dealer’s Statement Concerning an Out-of-State Vehicle (not required with a MSO) must be completed by the first Colorado dealer who transfers the out-of-state title. CRS 42-6-119(3)(a,b,c)
If first dealer obtains title in their name, the Colorado Dealer’s Statement Concerning an Out-of-State Vehicle form is not required.
- Vehicles titled for the first time in Colorado must be accompanied by one of the following documents to certify the weight:
- Manufacturer's Statement of Origin,
- Valid registration or title which specifies the weight or
- A certified weight slip
- Out-of-State Titles
- Power of Attorney for a motor vehicle
This form is required when the attorney in fact will be signing the title document for BOTH the buyer and seller and disclosing the odometer. This form includes the odometer disclosure and is printed on secure paper to comply with Federal Odometer Regulations.
When a vehicle is being titled in the name of a company, the individual shall present a letter of authorization to act on behalf of the company. The letter shall be on the company’s letterhead and signed by an authority of the company or a statement signed under penalty of perjury or notarized. Secure and verifiable identification is required from the individual receiving the title. If the agent is the sole owner of the company, a Statement of Fact, stating that they are the sole owner of the company is required.
C.R.S. 42-3-105 Application for Registration
C.R.S. 42-6-107 Certificates of Title
C.R.S. 42-6-119(3) Certificates of Vehicles Registered in Other States