Colorado Department of Revenue
Text  Increase Text SizeDecrease Text Size

Salvage Vehicle Titles

Form with Pencil, Post It Notes, and Erasers    

Information for vehicles affected by flooding in Colorado:

Vehicle owners are encouraged to work with their insurance companies regarding this damage and to apply for a salvage certificate of title.


For vehicles that do not meet the statutory definition of a salvage vehicle, vehicle owners will need to work with their insurance company to determine if the vehicle title should be canceled. When a title is canceled in Colorado, no subsquent title or registration will be issued for that specific vehicle.


For information prior to a purchase of a vehicle, consumers should use available resources, like the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) to research a vehicles history.

Requirements for Processing


Certificates of title for:



Salvage Vehicle

A Salvage Vehicle does not include a vehicle that qualifies as a collector's item, horseless carriage, or street rod vehicle under article 12 of this title at the time of damage and is damaged by collision, fire, flood, accident, trespass, or other occurrence, excluding hail damage, to the extent that the cost of repairing the vehicle to a roadworthy condition and for legal operation on the highways exceeds the vehicle’s retail fair market value immediately prior to such damage, as determined by the person who owns the vehicle at the time of such occurrence or by the insurer or other person acting on behalf of such owner.  (See C.R.S. 42-6-102(17)(a))


Titles for these vehicles shall be surrendered to DMV for the record to be marked salvage.

Vehicles Sold on a Bill of Sale as parts only can not be titled in Colorado. These vehicles may be used a source of parts to complete restoration of another vehicle.

Information: Research Colorado Revised Statute 42-6-102 and 42-6-136.