Text  Increase Text SizeDecrease Text Size

Age 16 yrs - 21 yrs

Outstretched Car Key

A Minor Instruction Permit is for drivers age 16 years to 21 years. The permit is valid for 3 years.


 Drivers under 18 must:

  • hold the permit for a minimum of 12 months before applying for a Driver's License
  •  present a completed Affidavit of Liability and Guardianship (DR2460)


Do you have everything you need? Check with our Online Driver's License Office.



To get a Minor Instruction Permit you must:
  • Provide your state or county certified birth certificate or another acceptable form of identification
  • Provide your social security number
  • Pass both written and vision screen tests
  • Complete an Affidavit of Liability and Gaurdianship: form DR2460



If you are under 18...


The Minor Instruction Permit allows only the signer of the DR2460 and/or the Driver Education Instructor to complete and log the 50 hours required on the drive time log sheet.


If the person(s) who signed the DR2460 does not hold a valid Colorado driver's license, the signer may appoint an Alternate Permit Supervisor to supervise the minor while driving. The Alternate Permit Supervisor must hold a valid Colorado driver's license and be 21 years of age or older. Drive time with an Alternate Permit Supervisor will count toward the 50-hour total required. 


The person(s) who signed the DR2460 may also allow any person 21 years of age or older who holds a valid license to supervise the minor while driving, but that driving time does not count toward the 50 hour requirement.


More questions? Call 303-205-5694 to speak with our hotline.