DOR Taxation web site

2010 Income Tax Balance Due Notices

Posted: May 18, 2011
Taxpayers who filed their 2010 income tax return, had a balance due on their return, and did not submit a payment will receive a balance due notice in the mail during the next few weeks. These bills are issued annually, shortly after the April income tax deadline. In all cases where there is a delay in payment, penalty and interest will be charged on the amount due. When the balance due notice is received, taxpayers have the option of paying the full balance due or setting up an installment plan.

If the taxpayer wishes to pay the full balance due, payment must be made by the due date printed on the balance due notice to avoid further late fees. Payment can be mailed by attaching the payment to a copy of the notice and mailing to:

Colorado Department of Revenue
1375 Sherman Street
Denver, CO 80261-0004

The Colorado Department of Revenue also offers the convenience of paying tax by checking or savings account or by credit card using our online tax payment service at

The online tax service can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A payment will be applied to the taxpayer’s account within 24 hours after it is submitted. Taxpayers will be asked to provide their Social Security number to use the service. This is a secure, fast and simple way to pay the tax balance due.

If the taxpayer is unable to pay the balance due in full the taxpayer can request a payment plan. Additional penalty will not be assessed after the installment plan is set up, however interest will be added for the term of the plan. Request a payment plan through

Once the request is received through our automated services, monthly payment coupons will be mailed to the taxpayer within 30 days.

If taxpayers disagree with the balance due notice they do have the right to protest the amount due. This written application must be filed within 30 days from the date of the notice. The 30-day period is fixed by Colorado statute and cannot be extended. For information on protest procedures, please see the Protest Rights Web page