DOR Enforcement
Text  Increase Text SizeDecrease Text Size


If you have “lockouts” in three or more months over a one year period of time, your requirement to carry interlock may be extended by up to an additional year. By statute, a lockout is defined as any instance where alcohol is detected over 0.025 and prevents the vehicle from starting up. Some interlock companies may also use the terminology “lockout,” but this is not the same as the legal definition under the interlock law.


You may request a hearing and obtain copies of the reports in advance by calling the Hearings Division at 303-205-5606. At the hearing, the Hearing Officer will review your record and reports with you and make a decision regarding whether you will be required to extend your interlock obligation, and if so, for how long. You will not face additional suspension if you timely request a hearing and comply with the Hearing Officer’s decision.


If you do not wish to request a hearing, contact your interlock provider to arrange for a 1 year extension of your interlock lease. Again, if you timely arrange for this, you will not face further suspension. However, if you do file for the one year extension, you waive your right to a hearing.


If your license goes under suspension, you may not drive until you reinstate.


There are no driving privileges that can be granted by the Hearings Division while under this type of action. 


The Hearings Division cannot handle complaints regarding interlock devices. If you wish to file a complaint, you may consider contacting the Governor Advocate’s office.


Legal Authority: C.R.S. § 42-2-132.5



*Disclaimer: This summary was prepared by the Department of Revenue Hearings Division and should be used as a reference only. Interested parties should refer to the full text of the law and seek legal counsel before drawing conclusions.