Gov. Hickenlooper orders flags lowered Friday in honor of Colorado law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty
Wednesday, May 4, 2011 — Gov. John Hickenlooper today ordered flags be lowered to half-staff on all public buildings statewide on Friday, May 6, 2011 in honor of Colorado law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.
Hickenlooper will deliver remarks and present the Colorado Wreath at 10 a.m. Friday at the annual Colorado Law Enforcement Memorial Ceremony held at the Colorado State Patrol Academy in Golden. Since 1979, the names of 236 Colorado law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty have been added to the memorial. This year, seven names will be added:
- Weld County Deputy Samuel K. Brownlee, killed on Nov. 23, 2010.
- Black Hawk City Marshal Robert A. Clark, killed on July 10, 1869.
- Las Animas County Sheriff Juan C. Tafoya, killed on Feb. 6, 1872.
- Trinidad Police Department officer John Solomon, killed on Nov. 21, 1895.
- Las Animas County Deputy William Green, killed on April 21, 1896.
- Las Animas County Deputy William Kelly, killed on April 21, 1896.
- Denver Police Department Officer William O. Steam, killed on February 18, 1921.