Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size

Housing Programs

Special Programs 

The Division of Housing operates the following programs using Section 8 funding:


Family Unification Program (FUP)

The Division of Housing (DOH) partners with the Colorado Division of Child Welfare and local service providers to administer a unique housing choice voucher program to assist homeless youth aging out of the foster care system. (age 18 through 21) 

The Family Unification Program (FUP) is a program under which Housing Choice Vouchers (HCVs) are provided to two different populations:

  • Youth at least 18 years old and not more than 21 years old who left foster care at age 16 or older and who lack adequate housing. FUP vouchers used by youth are limited, by statute to 18 months of housing assistance.

  • Families for whom the lack of adequate housing is a primary factor in:

                     a. The imminent placement of the family’s child or children in out-of-home care, or

                     b. The delay in the discharge of the child or children to the family from out-of-home care. 


The Section 8 Homeownership program

Certain Division of Housing (DOH) subcontractors offer the homeownership program to DOH participants who are interested in purchasing their own home, and the voucher may be applied toward the family’s portion of a mortgage. Household members must meet certain requirements including those established by HUD. Additionally, homes must also meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by housing quality standards. A housing subsidy is paid to the mortgage holder on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays their portion in accordance with their income.


Project Access

Project Access provides housing assistance to non-elderly (up to age 62 or younger) persons with disabilities transition back into the community from nursing homes or other institutions. DOH partners with community mental health centers, and independent living centers to provide access to affordable housing and the necessary community supports to achieve independent living.

Project Based Assistance (PBV)

This program allows DOH to use up to 20% of its budget authority to subsidize specific units in designated buildings. The populations that can best benefit from this type of housing are those needing supervision or a structured setting.


 Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)

The Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) program is a national initiative sponsored by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The goal of the VASH program is to provide housing choice voucher rental assistance, combined with intensive case management services and clinical services to enable homeless veterans to secure and maintain permanent housing while leading healthy, productive lives in the community.


Shelter Plus Care (S+C)

SHP’s Shelter Plus Care (S+C) program provides housing options for homeless persons (and their families) with targeted disabilities, primarily those with serious mental illness, chronic problems with alcohol and/or drugs, and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) or related diseases. The program requires participants to engage in services such as mental health and substance abuse treatment, job training, and life development skills, and work in partnership with their service providers and SHP to maintain permanent housing. The rental subsidy operates primarily under the same rules and regulations as the Housing Choice Voucher program.


The Family Self Sufficiency program

Family self-sufficiency (FSS) is a HUD program that encourages communities to develop local strategies to help voucher families obtain employment that will lead to economic independence and self-sufficiency. Public housing agencies (PHAs) work with welfare agencies, schools, businesses, and other local partners to develop a comprehensive program that gives participating FSS family members the skills and experience to enable them to obtain employment that pays a living wage. A separate program, the public housing FSS program, is available for public housing residents.


Links To:

Division of Housing Home

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development