Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size

Foodborne Illness Outbreaks

Resources for the Public
  • How do I report a foodborne illness? 


Reporting illnesses to your local health department helps them identify potential foodborne disease outbreaks. By investigating foodborne disease outbreaks, public health officials learn about possible problems in food production, distribution and preparation that may cause illness.


If you believe you or someone you know became ill from eating a certain food, please contact your health department. The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment inspects restaurants in Alamosa, Conejos, Costilla, Mineral, Rio Grande, Saguache, Garfield, Grand, Jackson and Moffat counties. If the restaurant was in any of these counties, contact the department at 303-692-3645. If the restaurant was in a county not listed above, please contact your local health department.


For more information:


Resources for Health Care Providers


In Colorado, group outbreaks from any source are reportable conditions, even if the diagnosis is not yet known. Healthcare professionals who suspect a foodborne illness outbreak or an outbreak from another source should contact their local public health agency to report the outbreak within 24 hours. Please click here to find more information about how to contact your local public health agency.


Alternately, health care professionals can report suspected outbreaks in Colorado to the state health department by calling 303-692-2700 (after hours: 303-370-9395).


Individual cases of foodborne illness such as Salmonella or E. coli O157 are reportable conditions. Click here for the list of individual conditions that are reportable and instructions on how to report a case. 

How to Report a Disease


Resources for Schools and Childcare
Resources for Public Health Professionals
Data and Statistics