Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size

Apply for Birth Certificates?


To receive a copy of a birth certificate, you must:


Consider purchasing an official  heirloom certificate that is suitable for framing.

Certified copies of birth certificates are also available through County Vital Records Offices pdf file  .

If your birth certificate is lost, stolen or misplaced please submit the Lost or Stolen Birth Certificate Application
Protect yourself and your family from criminal use of personal identity documents. If you are concerned that your documents may be used for illegal activity, please contact our Fraud Prevention Office.

To receive a copy of a corrected or changed birth certificate, you must:

• Submit a copy of your identification
• Submit proof of your eligibility to request a copy of the birth certificate
• Pay the non-refundable, processing  fees pdf file  
Submit your correction or change to the Department
Please note:
  • Name change: To change the name of a person older than one (1) year of age, contact your local county court to obtain a certified copy of a legal name change order before submitting the birth certificate correction form. The legal name change form can be downloaded from the Colroado State Judicial Branch.
  • Paternity (add or remove biological father): The birth certificate correction form cannot be used to add or remove the biological father to/from the birth certificate. You may add a father to the birth certificate by usbmitting a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity form or submit a certified copy of the court-ordered paternity finding with a Data Worksheet for New Birth Certificate form.
  •  Gender Changes due to a Surgical Procedure:  Before submitting the birth certificate correction form, contact your local county court to obtain a certified copy of the court order indicating that the gender was changed by surgical procedure.
Registering a birth for someone older than one (1) year of age is called a delayed registration. You may submit a request for delayed registration of birth if you are:
  • The person aged 18 or older whose birth was not registered
  • The parent of the person whose birth was not registered
  • The legal guardian of the person who was not registered
  • An immediate family member who is 18 years or older with personal knowledge of the birth
To request a delayed registration of birth, you must:
  1. Request a search of the State records by submitting a complete birth certificate application including ID and fees. If the record is not found, you will receive a Notification of No Record.
  2. Apply to register a Delayed Birth Certificate by submitting:
Please refer to the form for standard processing time. Once the request is approved, the birth will be registered with the Office of the State Registrar of Vital Statistics. One certified copy of the birth certificate will be sent to the address you provided on your form.