Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size

Gender Changes Due to Surgical Procedures


 Gender Changes Due to Surgical Procedures

Gender change via sex reassignment surgery is a process whereby the physical characteristics and/or social gender 

 role of an individual are changed to reflect the sex opposite of that which was determined at birth.

This type of gender or sex change is different from when misinformation is recorded during the filing of the original 

birth certificate. 

To request a gender change to the birth certificate send the following items: 
  1. Complete a birth certificate correction form.
  2. Submit a copy of your identification
  3. Pay the non-refundable processing fee.   
  4. Certified copy of a court order indicating that the gender change. For gender changes completed in Colorado, you may submit form JDF 77 specifying gender change by surgical procedure.
  5. If the name was changed, submit a certified copy of a legal name change order.   For name changes completed in Colorado, you may get a certified copy through the Colorado Judicial Branch.
  6. Submit your request to the Department.