Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size

Learn about ID and Eligibility Documentation and Requirements

Proof of your relationship or direct and tangible interest is required. Applicants must submit proof of their relationship or documentation to establish their legal interest in obtaining vital records. (i.e. birth certificates, marriage certificates, certified court orders, insurance polices)



The Office of the State Registrar of Vital Statistics requires the following documentation:

  • One item from the Primary List (No expired documents accepted)


  • Two items from the Secondary List (Any document expired more than six months will not be accepted)



One of the following items is required (no expired documents accepted).


  • Alien Registration Receipt/Permanent Resident Card
  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
  • Colorado Department of Corrections ID card
  • CO Temporary Driver’s License Form (with hole-punched Driver’s License)
  • Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • Foreign Passport
  • Photo Driver’s License
  • Photo ID Card (DMV)
  • School, University or College ID Card (must be current)
  • Temporary Resident Card
  • U.S. B1/B2 Visa card with I-94
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
  • U.S. Citizenship ID Card (I-197)
  • U.S. Military ID Card
  • U.S. Passport

Two items required (if you could not supply one valid item from the primary list). Any document expired more than six months will not be accepted.


  • Acknowledgment of Paternity document
  • Birth Certificate of Applicant (U.S. only)
  • Court order of adoption or name change
  • Craft or trade license (Colorado only)
  • DD-214
  • Divorce Decree (U.S. only)
  • Hospital birth worksheet (for infants under 6 months)
  • Hunting or Fishing License (must be current - Colorado only)
  • IRS-TIN card
  • Marriage license (U.S. only)
  • Medicare Card
  • Merchant mariner card
  • Mexican voter registration card
  • Motor vehicle registration or title (U.S. only)
  • Pilot license
  • Selective Service Card (U.S. only)
  • Social Security Card
  • Social Services Card (Medicaid, WIC)
  • State or federal prison or corrections card
  • Tribal ID Card
  • Weapon or gun permit (U.S. only)
  • Work ID, Paycheck Stub (within 3 months), or W-2
  • Any Expired document from the “Primary” List (cannot be expired more than 6 months)

We are sorry, but we cannot accept:


  • Matricula Consular Card
  • Novelty ID Card
  • Non-expiring Identification Cards
  • City or County Prison/Jail ID
  • Souvenir birth certificates
  • Temporary driver's license or temporary state ID card



If you cannot provide acceptable identification, it is suggested that you ask a spouse, parent, grandparent, sibling, or adult child, who can provide appropriate identification, to request the certificate. Proof of relationship is required, such as a birth certificate or marriage certificate.