Protect Your Identity
Lost or stolen vital records, such as certificates of birth and death, increase you risk for identity theft.
- Submit a Report of Lost or Stolen Birth Certificate form to protect your identity.
- If you have any questions or concerns related to fraud and your birth certificate, contact our fraud prevention staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Keep vital records in a fire-resistant, locked safe or safety deposit box.
- Do not carry vital records in your wallet or purse.
- When copies of vital records are necessary, provide a copy with the mother’s maiden name blocked out. Mother’s maiden name is often a security question for legal and financial verification systems.
- File copies of a person’s death certificate with the three major credit-reporting agencies.
- Visit the following sites for more information:
Identity Resource Center
Federal Trade Commission
State of Colorado Attorney General’s Office
Colorado Bureau of Investigation – ID Theft