Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size

What Are My Rights?



Colorado Department of Human Services Customer Service Hotline



You have the right to: 

  • Receive an application when you ask for it.
  • Turn in your application the same day you receive it.
  • Receive your food assistance benefits (or be notified that you are not eligible for the program) within 30 days after you turn in your application.
  • Receive food assistance benefits within 7 days if you are eligible for expedited services.
  • Have a fair hearing if you disagree with any action taken on your case.



Most problems can be resolved by contacting your Food Assistance worker. You can ask for a meeting with your Food Assistance worker and his/her supervisor to talk about your case.



If you still disagree, you can request a hearing orally or in writing:


  1. Informal Local County Level Meeting
    The case material can be reviewed by an impartial person who is not directly involved in the decisions about case eligibility and standards. The informal meeting resolves the problem in a fairly immediate manner. Call your Food Assistance worker for assistance.
  2. State Level Fair Hearing
    The Food Assistance Section and the Office of Appeals will review the initial decision of the Administrative Law Judge. The Office of Appeals will make the final decision. Call your Food Assistance worker for assistance. 


To request a State level fair hearing, write to:


Office of Administrative Courts
633 17th St., Suite 1300
Denver, Colorado 80202


Federal Civil Rights Investigation and Review


In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture Policy this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political belief or disability.

If you believe that you have been discriminated against by the Food Assistance Program, write immediately to:


US Department of Agriculture
Director, Office of Adjudication & Compliance
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington D.C. 20250-9410


Toll Free 866-632-9992

TDD 202-401-0216


Applications are in Adobe Reader's PDF format. You MUST HAVE Adobe Acrobat Reader to access these forms. To download the latest version, click here


State Department of Human Services Food Assistance Program employees and County Department of Human Service employees are required to assist individuals who want assistance in filing a civil rights complaint.

The State Food Assistance Program Section will refer all discrimination complaints to the Department of Agriculture Office of Civil Rights for investigation.


Office of Economic Security
Food Assistance Program
1575 Sherman St., 3rd Floor
Denver, CO 80203-1714
303-866-3122 or 1-800-536-5298



      What Are My Responsibilities?


  • Answer all questions on your Food Assistance application honestly.
  • Provide all documents requested for eligibility.
  • Report changes in your household circumstance to the Food Assistance Office. You will receive a list of what changes you need to report.
  • Use your food assistance benefits to buy eligible items only.
  • Do not sell, trade, or give away your food assistance benefits.