Livestock FAQ


The license required to purchase or broker livestock from Colorado producers, owners and dealers for resale or processing.


Cattle, sheep, goats, swine, mules, horses, domesticated elk and domesticated fallow deer.


No, livestock purchased for your own consumption or held 90 days or more before being resold or processed are exempt from the law and no license is required for those purchases.


  • When you purchase livestock from Colorado owners or producers for resale or processing; or

  • When you solicit or negotiate sales of livestock (broker) between the seller and purchaser; or

  • When you receive on consignment or solicit livestock for sale on commission; or

  • When you accept livestock in trust from the owner for resale; or

  • When you sell or handle livestock for the account of or as an agent of the owner; or

  • When you purchase livestock for a commercial feeding operation which feeds more than 2500 head at any one time that are not wholly owned by the feeder.

  • Brand inspection is mandatory with any change of ownership of livestock.



You may be exempt from the required bond or irrevocable letter of credit (but not the required license) if you pay in cash at the time you take possession of the livestock. Cash is U.S. currency, certified check, cashier's check, or postal or Western Union money order. You must fill out and sign a Cash Buyer's Affidavit, which is included on your application each year, to receive this exemption.

You may substitute a USDA Packers and Stockyards Administration bond for the required state bond.



  • Acting as a dealer without having a license is a class 6 felony.
  • Civil fines of up to $1000 per day may be issued for violations of the Act.
  • Cease and Desist Orders may be issued to individuals or companies violating the Act.
  • Court injunctions may be imposed for violations of  the Act.


Colorado owners, producers and/or dealers who sell livestock.



  • You will need an agent's license.

  • Application for the agent's license must be endorsed by the licensed dealer and sent with the $25.00 fee to the Department.

  • An agent's license will expire when the dealer's license expires.




If you meet all of the following:

  • Purchase less than $20,000 worth of livestock a year;

  • Have no single purchase transaction over $2,500;

  • Have a fixed or established place of business in Colorado;

  • Do not purchase livestock for commercial feeding;

  • Do not broker, act as an agent or buy and/or sell livestock on commission.

If you feel you qualify as a Small Volume Dealer, contact  the Department for
 application. The application fee is $25.00 and no bond is required. You will have to maintain certain records as required by the Department.



Yes, except for grains and dry edible beans, which require a separate license.


Email  or call the Farm Products Program at (303) 477-0054.