PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS EFFECTIVE TOMORROW FRIDAY, JULY 13
From: Bond, Ann -FS [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:37 AM
To: FS-pdl r2 sj fs
Subject: FIRE RESTRICTIONS EASED FOR SAN JUAN NATIONAL FOREST BUT STILL IN EFFECT AT LOWER ELEVATIONS
San Juan National Forest
San Juan Public Lands Center
15 Burnett Court, Durango, CO 81301
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 12, 2012
FIRE RESTRICTIONS EASED FOR THE SAN JUAN NATIONAL FOREST BUT STILL IN EFFECT AT LOWER ELEVATIONS
DURANGO – Effective Friday, July 13, 2012, fire restrictions will be lifted at higher elevations and eased at lower elevations of the San Juan National Forest in southwestern Colorado. Updated maps, which show specific boundaries for the specific zones considered higher and lower elevation under the revised restrictions, will be available beginning tomorrow at National Forest offices in Pagosa Springs, Bayfield, Durango, Dolores and Silverton, and posted online at: www.fs.usda.gov/sanjuan
Fire restrictions for higher elevations of the San Juan National Forest (Zone 2), which have been receiving more moisture, are hereby lifted; however, visitors are still asked to remain safety conscious in these areas.
Lower elevations of the San Juan National Forest (Zone 1) have received less moisture, so fire restrictions will be eased but remain in effect, as follows:
• Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire or stove fire is limited to permanent fire rings or grates within developed campgrounds (Exceptions: petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns or heating devices);
• Smoking is limited to an enclosed vehicle or building, or within a 3-foot-wide area cleared of vegetation;
• Chainsaws and other internal-combustion engines must have approved, working spark arresters;
• Welding or use of acetylene and other torches with an open flame is prohibited;
• Use of explosives is prohibited (including fireworks, blasting caps or any incendiary device, which may result in the ignition of flammable material).
These changes pertain ONLY to the San Juan National Forest. For more information, contact the San Juan Public Lands Center at 970 247-4874.
Ann H. Bond
Public Affairs Specialist
SAN JUAN NATIONAL FOREST
15 Burnett Court
Durango, CO 81301
970 385-1219 (off)
970 799-1210 (cell)
This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.