- Must be age 20 years and 6 months to apply and be at least 21 years of age at the start of the next scheduled academy class. DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU MEET THE MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT OF 20 YEARS AND 6 MONTHS
- Must have a high school diploma or GED at time of application
- An applicant is not required to be a US Citizen to apply, however, they must have documentation that allows them to live and work in the United States according to the Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Documentation is specified on the Form I-9 issued by the Department of Homeland Security
- Applicants must have a current and valid State of Colorado Driver's License at the start of the academy
- Please note: If you are removed from the process you are not allowed to reapply for one year from either: the time of your application, the date of your written exam, or the date of your polygraph interview, whichever comes later, please contact the HR Specialist assigned to this announcement for questions regarding this rule.
- Must be able to effectively communicate fluently in English verbally and in writing
- Must meet the standards of the Colorado State Patrol Drug-free Workplace Policy including passing a pre-employment Drug Screen. To view the Drug-free Workplace Policy: Click Here
- Must be available to work 24/7 as needed. Must be available to work weekends, holidays, and rotating shifts, and work in all weather conditions
- Applicants must be willing to be fingerprinted and must be able to pass an extensive background investigation, psychological examination, medical/physical, multiple physical fitness/agility tests, and submit to a pre-employment polygraph
- The background investigation is based on the following criteria, including, but not limited to: Driving history, criminal behavior/history, alcohol use/behavior, drug use/behavior, and integrity. If you omit any material fact on your application/testing materials, whether intentional or unintentional, you will be disqualified. If any disqualifying information is discovered at any stage of the selection process, you will be removed from consideration for the position
- Vision must be unimpaired or correctable to 20/20 and must possess normal color vision, depth perception, night vision, near acuity, far acuity, accommodation and field of vision including peripheral
- Must be able to hear and understand voice and radio communication either aided or unaided
- You must be able to meet and maintain the Colorado State Patrol grooming standards upon employment; at time of appointment, the grooming standards will be provided to you.
FALSE, FABRICATED, INTENTIONALLY OR UNINTENTIONALLY OMITTED INFORMATION
- Theft or taken without permission of items, goods and / or money (added together) of over $300 from an employer within the past 3 years (including military for personal gain).
- Any incident of misdemeanor shoplifting, or accessory to shoplifting, whether caught or not within the past 3 years
- Offering or paying a bribe
- Soliciting or accepting a bribe at any time as a law enforcement officer
- No use or possession of marijuana within the last 24 months.
Any use, purchase, or distribution of illegal drugs, except for marijuana, within the past 5 years. If beyond 5 years, the following factors should be considered: The frequency of the behavior; the quantity of drugs involved; and the type of drug
- Any illegal use, purchase, distribution, or manufacture of DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) controlled prescription drugs (Schedule I, II, or III) within the last 5 years. Click here for complete list of DEA controlled substance list.
- Use of any illegal drug, on or off duty, while employed as a law enforcement officer
- Refusal to agree to submit to previous employers drug screening or drug testing as an employee within the past 5 years, as evidenced in past jobs
- Unauthorized consumption of alcoholic beverage while on duty as a law enforcement officer, as evidence in past jobs
- Refusal to agree to submit to a previous employer alcohol testing as an employee within the past 5 years, as evidenced in past jobs
- Any felony conviction will be automatically disqualified
- No Domestic Violence Convictions
- An applicant who has served in any branch of the military must have been discharged as "Honorable" or had their discharge appealed to "Honorable" to apply. If an applicant was discharged from the military under Entry Level/Uncharacterized, their discharge status and reason for discharge will be reviewed. Applicants with a discharge status of "General", "Other Than Honorable", "Bad Conduct", or "Dishonorable" may apply 10 years after their date of discharge.
- Any DUI, DWAI, DUID conviction within the past 3 years (The 3 year timeframe is from date of convictions to date of initial application)
- Any license suspension / revocation within the last 3 years (excluding cancelled/denied licenses)
- Any hit and run accident within the last 3 years reported or unreported
- 3 or more convictions of moving traffic violations within the past 12 months and/or 5 or more convictions of moving traffic violations (excluding photo speeding and photo red light violations) within the past 5 years (example; Speeding, Turning Violations, Driving Actions Following Too Closely, Signaling Violations, Lane Violations, Right of Way, and etc.)