DOR Taxation web site

Taxpayers Affected by Natural Disasters

Posted: June 17, 2013

The Colorado Department of Revenue understands some taxpayers will be unable to meet Colorado filing and payment deadlines as a result of various natural disasters (tornadoes, wildfires, floods, etc.).

Therefore, we generally honor the relief provisions that have been adopted by the Internal Revenue Service for all Colorado taxes administered by the Department of Revenue. Write the disaster reference wording that is required by the IRS in red at the top of your tax return when you file. If you receive a bill or notice you believe is incorrect based on these relief provisions, or you believe additional relief is warranted, please submit a written explanation of why you feel additional relief is appropriate and enclose a copy of the bill or notice. Protests must be filed within 30 days of the date of the return.

File a Protest through Revenue Online
Attachments may be uploaded. Or mail a protest to:
Colorado Department of Revenue
Protest Section
Denver, CO 80261

Tax records requests

If your tax records have been destroyed and you need copies of previously filed tax returns, complete and obtain notarization of form DR 5714 to request copies of the returns. Write the disaster reference wording across the top of the form. This process takes approximately one to two weeks. Returns filed more than five years ago may not be available. If you filed electronically, you will receive a simulated printout of the tax return.


Tax records in Revenue Online
You may access copies of your tax returns, letters from the department and other documents through Colorado's Revenue Online service. You can also send us a secure message in Revenue Online if you have additional questions or need additional information. Sign up for access to the service, then login to your account. 


Wildfire Mitigation Measures Subtraction
Taxpayers in a designated fire zone who take proactive measures on their property against wildfires may qualify for this income tax subtraction.