DOR Taxation web site

Taxpayers Must Pay Balance Due on 2011 Taxes

Posted: June 11, 2012

Taxpayers who filed their 2011 income tax return, had a balance due on their return, and did not submit a payment will receive a balance due notice in the mail during the next few weeks. These bills are issued annually, after the April income tax deadline. In all cases where there is a delay in payment, penalty and interest will be charged on the amount due. When the balance due notice is received, taxpayers have the option of paying the full balance due or setting up an installment plan.

How to pay a balance due

If the taxpayer wishes to pay the full balance due, payment must be made by the due date printed on the balance due notice to avoid further late fees.


  • Partial or full payment by echeck or credit card accepted through Revenue Online.
  • Payment by mail. Attach payment to notice, mail to:
    Colorado Department of Revenue
    1375 Sherman St.
    Denver, CO 80261-0004

How to set up a payment plan (Agreement to Pay or ATP)


  • Contact our Tax Auditing and Compliance Division by telephone, (303) 205-8291

Once the request is received, monthly payment coupons will be mailed to the address on file within 30 days.


Disagree with the notice?
Taxpayers who disagree with the balance due notice have the right to protest the amount due. The protest must be filed within 30 days from the date of the notice.

How to file a protest

  • On the Web site through your account in Revenue Online:
    Click on the “Individual” button and select the “Sign Up” button to start the steps to create a Login ID and Password. Once the access is set up, Login to the account and click on “File a Protest” inside the account.
  • By mail:
    Colorado Department of Revenue
    Protest Section
    1375 Sherman St.
    Denver, CO 80261