To obtain a Colorado Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) you will need the following:
- Valid Colorado commercial driver’s license/permit or valid CDL from another state
- Current DOT (medical) card*
- CDL driving skills test completion form dated within 60 days if you are turning your permit into a CDL
- If you have a HAZMAT endorsement, you will need to take the written test and pass a TSA background check before renewing your CDL with a HAZMAT endorsement
- Your Social Security Number
- Proof of current residential address (utility bill, bank statement, pay stub, credit card statement, rent receipt, mortgage statement, fishing license or other item with your name and address that can be reviewed by driver's license personnel)
The fee to obtain a Colorado CDL is $35. If you also have a motorcycle endorsement, the fee is $37. CDLs are valid for 4 years.
Click here for more information on endorsements and restrictions
For more information about Commercial Driver's Licenses and Commercial Motor Vehicles, click here.
*Effective May 21, 2014, per federal regulation 49 CFR 393.42, only medical professionals who are trained, certified and listed on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners can perform DOT physicals for CDL holders. The DMV will not be able to accept DOT medicals that were done after May 21, 2014 by a medical professional who is not on the registry. This requirement only affects commercial drivers who are required to hold a CDL.
For more information or to find a medical professional in your area, please click here.