Colorado Department of Revenue
Text  Increase Text SizeDecrease Text Size

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I am new to Colorado. What do I need to register and title my vehicle?
Q. Where do I apply to title and register my vehicle?
Q. What county do I reside in?
Q. What are the fees to register and title my vehicles?
Q. Why are fees not quoted over the phone?
Q. Can I register and title my car before I move to Colorado?
Q. Do I need a bill of sale or a letter of gift? If so, is there a standard form?
Q. Where can I locate the counties' web sites?
Q. Are address and phone numbers for the counties in the phone book? If so, under what listing?
Q. Where do I get a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspection?
Q. When requesting a history or search on a vehicle record, which box do I check for the Requestor Release and Affidavit of Intended Use (DR 2489)?
Q. If I purchase a vehicle without a title, what do I need to do to obtain a title in my name?
Q. Do I have to provide an emission test when I sell a vehicle?
Q. Is an emissions test required, if so, how often?
Q. Where do I get the emission test done?
Q. Which Title and Registration transactions require Secure and Verifiable ID?
Q. What types of identification meet the requirements of Secure and Verifiable Photo Identification for Title and Registration transactions?
Q What forms are required for transactions involving manfactured homes?
Q. Does The State of Colorado title and register trailers?
Q. Which county motor vehicle offices accept Master Card, Visa, Discover and American Express as a payment option when titling and registering a vehicle?
Q. What is required to remove a lien from a Colorado title and/or duplicate title?
Q. Can more than one lien be omitted when applying for a duplicate title?