Colorado Department of Revenue
Text  Increase Text SizeDecrease Text Size

Alcohol DUI

  Classroom and Paper

Express Consent

Colorado's Express Consent Law requires any driver to consent to a chemical test if a police officer has reasonable grounds to believe the person is driving under the influence or their ability to operate a motor vehicle is impaired because of alcohol, drugs, or both.



If you:

  •  have a notice of revocation issued by a police officer

you have 7 days to go to a driver's license office to request a hearing. If the license was not surrendered at the time of the stop, it must be surrendered to receive a temporary driving permit. 


Contact the hearing section at 303-205-5606.  For information regarding evidence presented at a hearing  click here .


Alcohol Courses

The court may require you to complete a series of alcohol classes as a condition of a plea bargain or a deferred sentence for an alcohol-related offense. There are also circumstances in which the court may not order you to take alcohol classes, but Colorado law will require these classes as a condition of driver license reinstatement. 

To find a treatment provider please visit


If you:

  •  are an out-of-state driver and
  • need to reinstate with the State of Colorado and
  • have a requirement for Level II Drug/Alcohol Education/Therapy

then you must have an evaluation done by an alcohol treatment center or alcohol therapist in the state where you reside. 

You cannot reinstate with the State of Colorado until you can provide documentation that you have met the requirements of the center or therapist. The evaluation should be on letterhead of the alcohol treatment center or therapist and must specify the beginning and ending dates as well as the hours required to fulfill their requirements. 

For more information on alcohol classes view the Level I and Level II Classes Brochure.



More information: