Colorado Department of Revenue
Text  Increase Text SizeDecrease Text Size

Driver's License and ID Card Information

Denver Capitol

A resident of Colorado is allowed to have either a Colorado Driver's License or an ID card. You may not have both.

( Colorado Revised Statute 42-2-114)




To be issued a Colorado Driver's License or Identification Card you must prove the following elements:


  • Your full legal name
  • Identity
  • Age
  • Lawful presence  in the United States


You must also provide your social security number and proof of residential address.



According to the Federal Real ID Act, you must show a hardcopy or electronic copy of one of the following documents to prove your residential address:


  • Utility bill
  • Credit card statement
  • Pay stub or earnings statement
  • Rent receipt
  • Telephone bill
  • Transcript or report card from an accredited school
  • Bank statement
  • Mortgage document
  • Tax document
  • Homeowners/renter's insurance policy
  • Vehicle registration
  • Other items with address that can be reviewed by Driver's License personnel

For a minor child, a parent can provide the address with their license, as long as it is correct.



State driver's license offices accept cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover card.  The Lakewood office located at 1881 Pierce Street only accepts cash or check.  Please plan accordingly.


Click here to see a chart of frequent fees.




You must provide enough documentation to prove identity, age, name, and lawful presence. See the Identification Requirements Chart for documents you can use. Each document must meet the following minimum requirements:


  • Certified originals
  • Certified amended originals
  • True copies certified by the issuing agency

If you cannot provide the required documentation, you may request Exceptions Processing. You will need to prove the required elements but with additional or alternative documents.




Visit our Online Driver's License Office to apply for a license or ID card or visit your local Driver's License Office