Colorado Department of Revenue
Text  Increase Text SizeDecrease Text Size



Key in Ignition

Anyone whose license is valid or expired for less then one year may request an extension if they are not in Colorado to renew their license. There may not be any unpaid tickets on the record for an extension to be issued.


An out-of-state extension is a sticker that is issued to extend the expiration date of a license if a person is out-of-state when their license expires.


  • A civilian extension is for one year from the expiration date and can only be issued once, unless the person is out of the country then a second extension can be issued with a separate request done within 90 days of expiration of the first extension. A civilian extension is $3.00. Add $2.00 for a motorcycle endorsement.
  • A military extension is for three years from the expiration date of the license and you may only be issued one military extension. A military extension is free.


What is required?

  1. The department will need a written request for an extension, signed by you with an out-of-state address.
  2. For military personnel, you must provide a letter from your Commanding Officer stating that you are active duty military and are currently deployed outside the State of Colorado. Request for a military extension may be faxed to 303-205-5990.  For civilians applying for an extension, you will need to provide your full name, date of birth, and out-of-state address, and the $3.00 fee. Make check or money order payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue.


Mail request to:

Department of Revenue
Division of Motor Vehicles, Rm 136

Denver, CO 80261-0016


Note to all CDL Drivers: Due to medical and testing requirements for CDL drivers, only a 30-day extension is available. There is no fee for this 30-day extension.  Please submit your request to:



Driver Control Section
Colorado Department of Revenue
Room 164 - ROS
Denver, CO 80261-0016


Note to CDL Drivers in the Military: If you have a Colorado CDL license and are based out of the state or overseas, the license is automatically extended for up to three years per Colorado Revised Statute 42-2-118(2) as long as a military ID is presented with the license. Please do not request an extension, no sticker will be mailed.