Banner Art
Text  Increase Text SizeDecrease Text Size

Requirements for Retail Liquor or 3.2% Beer License

Columbine Flowers       

Colorado liquor and beer retail licenses are issued by "dual" licensing authorities. Your local City or County Clerk can provide applications and answer questions concerning the application process. Your local licensing authority (City or County) must first approve all retail licenses before forwarding liquor and beer license applications to the State Liquor Enforcement Division. Licenses can take several months to acquire and you must communicate with your local licensing authority far in

advance of your opening date. Failure to file applications far in advance of your opening date will most likely result in a delay.  Colorado liquor and beer licenses may be issued in the name of natural persons, corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies. Applicants and other persons involved with partnerships, corporations or limited liability companies, must be at least 21 years of age. Persons under 21 may be involved with an established trust as long as the trustee is at least 21 and the person under 21 cannot benefit from the trust until that person reaches the age of 21.


All corporations and limited liability companies must be registered with the Colorado Secretary of State's Office and authorized to do business. Foreign corporations and limited liability companies must also register with the Secretary of State and be authorized to do business in Colorado.


Applicants do not have to be a United States citizen or a Colorado resident to acquire a liquor or beer license and the existence of a criminal record does not preclude a person from licensure. Applicants with criminal records must be able to provide evidence of rehabilitation or the license may be denied.