Colorado Indigent Care Program (CICP)
The Colorado Indigent Care Program (CICP) is not a health insurance. The CICP provides funding to clinics and hospitals so that medical services can be provided at a discount to Colorado residents that meet the eligibility requirements for the CICP.
To be eligible for discounted services under the CICP, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
1. Must be a Colorado resident or migrant farm worker and a U.S. citizen or legal immigrant;
2. Must have income and resources combined at or below 250% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL); and
3. Cannot be eligible for the Medicaid Program or Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+).
How can a person apply for this program?
Applications must be completed by a clinic or hospital that is participating in the CICP. The applicant or responsible party must sign the application within 90 days of the date of service.
Applicants will be assigned a "rating" based on their total income and resources. The rating determines the copayment amount that will be charged to the applicant for medical services for a 12-month calendar year.
Changes to the rating or application may occur when:
• The 12-month calendar year has expired;
• Family income has changed significantly;
• The number of dependents in the family has changed; or
• Information provided was not accurate.
Under the CICP, applicants will not have to pay more than 10% of their income in a 12-month calendar period for medical services from a clinic or hospital participating in the CICP. For example, a family of four with an annual income of $16,500 will have to pay copayments up to $1,650. Applicants are responsible for keeping all paperwork that shows the copayments that have been paid and must submit written note to the clinic or hospital once the family has reached the 10% copayment maximum.
If I have Medicare or other health insurance can I apply for the CICP?
Yes. However, the clinic or hospital must bill Medicare or the commercial health insurance policy first for all medical expenses incurred.
Who do I call if I have more questions?
Please call Customer Service at 303-866-3513 in the Denver metro area or toll-free at 1-800-221-3943.