- Optional Life Premiums- different premiums for employees than for spouses/same-gender domestic partners (SGDPs)
- Employees may apply for employee or spouse/SGDP coverage anytime throughout the year. Apply using the online Benefits Administration System (BAS) .
- Employees may apply for coverage upto $500,000; spouses/SGDPs up to $250,000; dependent children (up to 26th birthday) for $5000 or $10,000 amounts; also includes accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) coverage.
- New employees may elect coverage for themselves up to $100,000, and spouses/SGDPs up to $30,000, without having to prove good health, also called evidence of insurability (EOI) or a medical history statement. Coverage beyond these amounts require EOI. Certain events such as marriage or birth will not require EOI up to these amounts.
- EOI is completed as part of the enrollment process; Optional child life does not require EOI.
- An employee must be approved for coverage before spouse/SGDP and child life coverage can be approved.
- Spouse / SGDP coverage cannot be more than half the amount of employee coverage.
- Coverage provided by Minnesota Life.
Basic Life Insurance
Other Programs from Minnesota Life
Resources & Tools
- Certificate of Coverage - from Minnesota Life; explains coverage, plan provisions, exclusions and limitations
- Policy Number for State-paid Basic and Employee-paid Supplemental Life/AD& D Insurance - 33780-G
- Dedicated Customer Service Line for Minnesota Life - 1-877-828-7728, for questions on claims, evidence of insurability forms, coverage, portability and conversion
- Examples of Beneficiary Designations - different scenarios involving primary and contingent beneficiaries
- Information on Portability of Life Insurance (updated 11/09) - how to apply for coverage, Q&As, premium rates, applications, customer service number for questions, comparison of Portability with Conversion
- Information on Conversion of Life Insurance - how to apply for coverage, Q&As, premium rates, applications, customer service number for questions
- PERA-Sponsored Life Insurance
More Benefits Information
HealthLine - The Employee Benefits Newsletter
Enroll/Change Your Benefits - link to State's online Benefits Administration System (BAS)
Your department's HR/Benefits personnel
Instructions for Online Enrollment
What do "Pre-tax" and "After tax" mean?
Glossary of Insurance Terms
Salary Reduction Plan
For more information about Benefits contact the DPA Benefits Unit .
Email comments to: email@example.com