State employees are eligible for medical, dental, life, and disability insurance, as well as flexible spending accounts (FSAs). Spouses / same-gender domestic partners (SGDPs) and dependent children (up to 26th birthday) may be covered on medical, dental, and optional life insurance. Use the navigation on the left to find out more about employee benefits for State employees.
- Employees and the State share cost of medical and dental premiums.
- Employee coverage of $50,000 of life insurance paid by the State.
- Employees can apply for additional amounts of optional life insurance for themselves, their spouses / SGDP, and dependent children. All optional life insurance premiums are paid by the employee.
- The State pays for short-term disability insurance, while employees can apply for optional long-term disability (LTD) insurance. Employees pay all premiums for LTD.
- Retirement plans, both primary plans and optional supplemental plans, are managed by the Colorado Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA). Contact PERA for more information - 1.800.759.PERA (7372) / www.copera.org.
Resources & Tools
Your department's HR/Benefits personnel - for benefits questions
Required Documentation for Dependents Covered Under Medical / Dental / Life - Must be provided for legal spouse, common-law spouse, same-gender domestic partner, and dependent children.
What do "Pre-tax" and "After tax" mean?
Glossary of Insurance Terms
Salary Reduction Plan
Important Information - Benefits DEADLINES for New Employees
- Medical, Dental, Life, Disability, FSA coverage - 31 calendar days to make new employee elections in the online Benefit Administration System. Date of hire is Day 1.
- Retirement Choice - Contact PERA for more information about Retirement - 1-800-759-PERA (7372) or www.copera.org. Newly hired employees must make a retirement plan selection within the first 60 calendar days after the first day of employment. Judges and employees of institutions of higher education are not eligible for Retirement Choice.
- Contact your department's HR/benefits personnel for more information.
Colorado State Employee Assistance Program (C-SEAP)
State of Colorado Ombuds Program
Work-Life (flextime, flexplace, employee discounts)
For more information about Benefits contact the DPA Benefits Unit.
Email comments to: email@example.com