Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size

Clerk & Recorder

Costilla County Emblem


Costilla County Clerk and Recorder

Karen Garcia


Contact Information

Mailing Address – P.O.  Box 308 San Luis, Colorado 81152

Office Location – 400 Gasper St. Ste. 101 San Luis, Colorado 81152

Phone Number – (719) 937-7671

Fax Number – (800) 934-7128

Email Address – clerkandrecorder@costillacounty.net



Najondine Placek – Supervisor, Deputy Clerk & Recorder

Charlene Gallegos – Motor Vehicle & Recording Clerk

Sandra Lucero – Motor Vehicle & Recording Clerk


Information regarding our Office

The Clerk and Recorders Office is responsible for registering automobiles, registering voters, administrating elections, recording documents, issuing marriage licenses, issuing liquor licenses, and also maintains records for the Board of County Commissioners.

The Clerk and Recorder’s Office is made up of several divisions. Motor Vehicle, Elections, Recording, Clerk of the Board, and Torrens.  Each department must maintain guidelines and updates prescribed by the law.

The employees of the Clerk and Recorders Office are committed to quality service with an emphasis on the customers, citizens and taxpayers of Costilla County. We are dedicated to serve our County with respect and efficiency.


Registering a Vehicle

Please bring proof of insurance and proof of Identification when registering a vehicle. Any vehicle from out of State is required to provide a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Inspection form completed by the Sherriff’s Department.


Title - $7.20

Duplicate Title - $8.20

Filing Security Agreement - $5.00 per letter size & 10.00 per legal sized paper

Duplicate registration - $2.20

Temporary registration (permit) - $6.22

Tab replacement - $2.37

Late Fee per month not to exceed $100.00 will be assessed to

Unregistered vehicles (more that 60 days from date of purchase) or

Vehicles renewed after the one month grace period. - $25.00



State Tax – 2.9%

County Tax - 1%

City Tax – 3%

Note: Fees to title and register vehicles in the State of Colorado are based on the age of the vehicle, weight, taxable value, purchase date, and type of plate requested. Estimates for registration fees are not provided online or over the phone.

·         Persons with Disabilities Placards


Recording Documents

Recording fees are statutory established and all fees will be collected at the time of recording the document. In order for documents to be recorded promptly, please make sure fees are correct and accurate. All documents received with insufficient fees will be returned.

The fees are $11.00 for the first page and $5.00 for each additional page per document. Document that transfers title with consideration exceeding $500.00 will be assessed a State documentary fee of 0.01 cent per $100.00 or 0.10 cents per $1000.00 based on the sale or purchase price of the property.

Personal checks need to be made payable to Costilla County Clerk and Recorder.

The return address needs to be complete and accurate. (Whom the original document should be mailed to after recording) No return envelope is required, but is appreciated!


Please make sure the quality of the document and text is legible. Documents with poor quality produce poor public records.

Document Margins – Colorado Law (CRS 30-10-406(3)(a) requires all documents have a top and bottom margin of at least one inch and a left and right margin of at least ½ inch. The recorder may refuse to file any documents that do not meet these standards.

Deeds – Colorado Law (CRS 38-35-109(2)) requires all deeds need notation of the legal mailing address for the grantee. This address is used to determine where tax statements should be mailed after the property is transferred.

To submit Documents, please send to:

Costilla County Clerk and Recorder

PO Box 308 San Luis, Co 81152


Records Search

In order to obtain a copy of a deed please send a written request addressed to Costilla County Clerk and Recorder at P.O. Box 308 San Luis, Colorado 81152 requesting the book and page number, which your documents are recorded into Costilla County Records and money to cover the fees. The fees are 0.75 cents per page. You may also request for the document to be certified, which is an additional $1.00 per page. To obtain the deed book and page number you may contact the Costilla County Assessor at (719) 937-7670.

Online Record Searching

All documents from 1997 to present are available online. To view or print these documents please visit icounty.org. There is a daily searching fee of $15.00 per day and 0.25 cents per printed copy. Documents are uploaded daily.

Costilla County Clerk and Recorder also offers Monthly unlimited searching accounts to search documents from 1997 to present for a fee of $200.00 per month. To obtain access to this site please contact our office.

~Coming Soon all documents and maps will be available online~


Questions Regarding Selling/Transferring Property

Please contact the County Assessor at (719) 937-7670.


Marriage License


A Marriage License may be issued in any Colorado county and used in any county in the State of Colorado. Applicants do not need to be residents of Colorado. Applicants may come into our office during regular business hours.

Required to Apply

·         The legal age without parental consent is 18 years of age.

·         If age 16 or 17, written and notarized Parental Consent Form signed by parents, the parent with legal custody, or the legal guardian is required.

·         Applicants 15 years of age or younger must obtain a court order granting judicial approval as well as complying with the above requirements. The court order must be obtained in the county where judicial approval has been granted.

·         Marriage License Application: Both applicants must appear in person to apply, complete and sign the marriage application.

·         OR Notarized Absentee Application Form If one party cannot appear due to illness, because he/she is out-of-state state, or incarcerated, the party applying must bring the absentee application along with identification for the absent party. The absentee application form must be notarized in advance. 

·         Marriage License Fee. Cash or Checks payable to Costilla County Clerk & Recorder

·         Identification for Proof of Age: Such as a Driver's License issued in the United States, Birth Certificate (original or certified copy), Passport/Visa, Military ID, State-issued ID Card

·         Social Security Number: If either party does not have a social security number, they must sign an affidavit provided by the Clerk's Office when applying for the license.

·         Place of Birth (City and State) must be listed on the application form

·         Parents' Names and Current Addresses must be listed on the application form

·         Additional Required Documents If Applicable

·         Divorce Decree or Information for Previous Marriages, if applicable: If either party has finalized a divorce within 30 days of applying for the marriage license, the final decree must be produced. This decree must be signed by the judge or court referee. If the divorce has been final more than 30 days, divorce information must be given regarding date of divorce, place of divorce and court in which the divorce was finalized. 

·         Parental Consent Form, if under age 18 (see Age Requirements above)

·         Judicial Court Order, if under age 16 (see Age Requirements above)

Certification of License
A marriage may be solemnized by judges, retired judges, magistrates, Indian tribe officials and clergy, or by the couple themselves. Once solemnized, the completed marriage certificate must be returned for recording within 63 days of the marriage to Costilla County Clerk & Recorder:

·        400 Gasper St. Ste. 101 San Luis, Colorado 81152

·        Or mail to: P.O. Box 308 San Luis, Colorado 81152

Name Change after Marriage
To change your name after a marriage, you will need to contact the Social Security Administration, your county Driver's License Office, and any other entity with which you conduct business.

Civil Union

A “Civil Union” means a relationship established by two eligible parties pursuant to SB 13-011 that entitles them to receive the benefits and protections and be subject to the responsibilities of spouses. You may apply for a civil union license in any Colorado county, regardless of where you live. 

Required to Apply 

·         Both parties must be 18 years of age or older to apply.

·         It is preferable that both parties be present to apply. If one party cannot be present, he/she must submit an Absentee Affidavit that is completed, signed and notarized, along with a copy of his/her valid ID (front and back.)

·         Each must present a valid identification, such as a driver’s license, passport, military ID, State ID or a birth certificate with a photo ID that includes the date of birth.

·         The license fee is $30, payable by cash or check.

·         Neither person can be a party to another Civil Union or married to another person. Individuals also may not enter into a civil union with a relative (whether by half or whole blood).

Certification of License 
The Civil Union License & Certificate is valid for 35 days and may only be used in the State of Colorado. The completed document must be certified and returned for recording within 63 days of certification or fines will be assessed. A ceremony is not required. 
The following entities may certify a civil union: 

·         Religious (Priest, Minister, Rabbi or religious institution or denomination);

·         Civil (Judge, District Court/County Court Magistrate, or Retired Judge);

·         Indian Nation or Tribe Official;

·         Self-Certifying (Couples may certify their own union. The parties to the union will need to complete the Civil Union Certificate portion of the License.) 
For a civil certification, please contact the Courts to set an appointment.

Name Change After Civil Union 
To change your name after a civil union, you will need to contact the Social Security Administration, your county Driver's License Office, and any other entity with which you conduct business. 






The Costilla County Election Department is responsible for voter registration processes: the processing of ballots, absentee ballots, and issuing early voting ballots for regular primary, general and special district elections. We are also responsible for coordinating all Election Day operations, organization of Election Day results, and the certification of the all elections.


Voter registration may be done online, in person at the Costilla County Clerk and Recorder’s office, at any approved NRVA agencies, or at any department of motor vehicles office.


If you are registering for the first time or would like to update your voting information, click here.


Vaya Votar,  haga clic aqui. 


For Costilla County Voter Service & Polling Center Locations, click here.


For Military and Overseas voter, click here. 


For information regarding Electors with disabilities, click here.


If you wish to become a candidate or need candidate information, click here.  


For Political Party information, both minor/major, click here.


For Frequently Asked Questions- FAQ’s, click here.


For Frequently Asked Questions regarding Primary Elections, click here.


For any additional Voting Information, click here.  


To Withdrawal your Colorado Voter Registration, click here.  


Registration Requirements:

·         A United States Citizen

·         A resident of the State of Colorado for at least 22 days. (On or before November 4, for the 2014 General Election).

·         At least 16 years of age, but understands they must be 18 years old in order to vote.

·         Provides a valid Colorado Driver’s License, Colorado ID card (issued by the Colorado Department of Revenue) OR presents and of the following acceptable forms of identification.


Registration Deadlines:

·         The last day to register to vote or change voting information of an elector, is now determined by the method an elector chooses to submit their registration.

-          October 27 (8 days prior to the Election) – Deadline to change information online, submit by mail, submit though a VRD or NVRA agency, or through a local driver’s license examination facility. 

-          November 4 – Up until and on Election Day,  is the last day to appear IN PERSON at the Costilla County Clerk and Recorder’s Office; an elector may registered to vote and change registration information. (Must meet requirements and provided an acceptable forms of identification.)


You may contact our office for any further questions or concerns at 719-937-7671 or VIA email clerkandrecorder@costilllacounty.net