Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size

Frequently Asked Questions

Mixing waste trap grease with septic wastes causes the resulting mixture to be regulated as waste grease, which must be managed in accordance with Colorado's solid waste regulations Section 18 (6 CCR 1007-2).  If you transport waste grease from grease traps, you are required to register with the Division using the Waste Grease Certificate of Registration Application Form WG-1, which is available on the Division's website on the Forms page.  Once you have registered, you will receive a Certificate of Registration and a Waste Grease decal for each vehicle that you registered.  Keep the Certificate of Registration at your principal place of business and place a copy in each vehicle registered.  Place the decal in the vehicle with the corresponding license plate number in the inside lower left hand corner of the windshield. 


Waste grease may only be transported to a waste grease collection facility or to a domestic wastewater treatment plant that is permitted to accept it.


Waste Grease 


You must register with the Division as a Tire Retailer, Wholesaler or Fleet Service Facility by completing the Waste Tire Certificate of Registration Application Form WT-1, which is available on the Division's website on the Forms page.  Once you have registered, you will receive a Certificate of Registration and Waste Tire Facility decal from the Division.  Keep the Certificate of Registration onsite and display the decal in a prominent location at your facility.  You should allow two weeks to receive your certificate and decal.


Waste Tires


The Division does not issue permits for medical waste transporters. However, you must meet the general requirements for medical waste transporters in Colorado's solid waste regulations Section 13 (6 CCR 1007-2) and all applicable U.S. Department of Transportation requirements.  If you have a site where you store or consolidate medical waste from different customers before you take it to a treatment facility, you must have a permit (called a Certificate of Designation) and an approved Engineering Design and Operations Plan for the site before you begin operating.


Medical and Pharmaceutical Waste for Service Providers  


The Division maintains summaries of permits, notifications, registrations and certifications required by our regulations.  These summaries include information on who needs one, the process to get one and associated fees, among other things.


Permits, Notifications, Registrations and Certifications


Medications should not be placed down the drain or in the toilet as this can contaminate ground water and surface water resources.  Some medications may be regulated as hazadous waste and must be managed and disposed of as such.  Other medications contain controlled substances and have specific disposal requirements.


Medical and Pharmaceutical Waste for Health Care Facilities  


The Division maintains a list of onsite medical waste service providers as well as a list of mail-back programs that accept certain types of medical waste.


Medical and Pharmaceutical Waste for Health Care Facilties  


The Division offers several resources to help you understand the regulations and how they apply to you.  We have a wide array of guidance and policy documents available online 24 hours a day, including summaries of notifications, certifications, registrations and permits as they apply to our various programs.  Our Customer Technical Assistance line is available 8 am - noon, Monday through Friday to answer questions about the regulations and to provide general regulatory interpretations. In addition, our technical staff are available to provide site-specific answers and interpretations.  If you generate smaller quantities of hazardous waste, you may want to take advantage of our onsite Generator Assistance Program where one of our hazardous waste inspectors provides guidance and tips for you to get into and stay in compliance with the regulations during a non-enforcement site visit.  Finally, the Division offers workshops and other trainings throughout the year designed to clarify the regulations and provide an open forum for questions.


Guidance and Policy Documents


Customer Technical Assistance Program


Contact our Technical Staff


Generator Assistance Program


Learning Opportunities and Assistance


There are numerous recycling drop-off centers througout the state.  Most accept common recyclables like paper and aluminum, while others accept things like yard waste or electronic (computer) waste.


Find A Recycler


Recycling and Beneficial Use


Spills and releases to the environment should be reported to the statewide toll-free Colorado Environmental Release and Incident Reporting line at 1-877-518-5608.  Information on other reporting requirements can also be obtained.


Environmental Spill Reporting Guidance Document pdf file

Environmental Spill Reporting Brochure pdf file


To determine if a particular property has or had environmental contamination that the Division has been made aware of, or to review inspection and enforcement reports, you can make a Colorado Open Records Act (CORA) request to review public files associated with the property's address.  The Division will review your request to determine if we have any files on that address and if so, set up an appointment with you to review the files.  If you wish to review files for another division (Air, Water, etc.), you must contact each division individually.


Records Review


Hazardous Waste


The Division posts quarterly inspection and enforcement reports online listing hazardous waste facilities that have been inspected in the past year.  For more complete information regarding the compliance history of a hazardous waste site or facility, visit U.S. EPA's Enforcement and Compliance History Online (ECHO) website at www.epa.gov/echo/ .  This site contains information on hazardous waste facilities in Colorado and other states.