Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size

Correct a Colorado Death certificate

To amend a death certificate, application may be made by the informant, next of kin, funeral director or person acting as such who signed the death certificate.  Applications to amend the medical certification of cause of death shall be made only by the physician or coroner who signed the medical certification in which case an amended certificate must be filed.

To correct an error on a death certificate, complete a “Form to Correct a Colorado Death Certificate” and return it to the address shown on the form.



All documents which support the information being corrected must have been established at least five years prior to the date of application or within seven years of the date of event. (CVSR 5 CCR 1006-1 Section 9.3)


Suggested documents are:


Certified birth record (state or county issued)
Certified baptismal or other church records
School census or transcript records
Military discharge record (DD214)
Insurance policy-application page
Employment records
Social Security Numident or SS-5
Marriage License/Certificate
Divorce Decree


Get advice about correcting or changing a death certificate by e-mail at vital.records@state.co.us or
Death Correction Specialist: 303-692-2236


To change or correct a death certificate in person, visit our office at:

Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment -Vital Records
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, CO 80246-1530
FAX: 303-691-7704
Tel. #: 303-692-2200

Please note: Same-day service for death certificate corrections is available until 4:00 p.m.