State Veterans Homes
Thank you for your interest in Colorado’s State Veterans Homes - caring communities that honor America's heroes!
Click below for information on:
Our mission and vision
Colorado’s State Veterans Homes are located in the following areas:
Colorado’s State and Veterans Nursing Homes offer the following services:
- Long-term care: These services include skilled nursing care; speech, physical and occupational therapy; social activities; and assistance with bathing, dressing and other daily activities.
- Short-term rehabilitation: Individuals seeking to return home following a qualifying hospital stay can work to regain skills and improve physical strength, endurance and aerobic capacity through Medicare-certified rehabilitation services.
- Domiciliary cottages (similar to assisted living): The Colorado State Veterans Center at Homelake (Monte Vista) offers assisted living-like services in 48 recently renovated cottages.
- Memory care services: Specialized care for individuals with dementia is offered in all State and Veterans Nursing Homes. Secure units are available at the State Veterans Home at Fitzsimons, Florence, Rifle and Walsenburg.
- Short-term “respite” care: Respite care can provide a helpful option when homecare providers are unavailable. These short-term stays are offered at the State Veterans Homes at Florence, Homelake, Rifle and Walsenburg.
- End-of-life/hospice services: Comfort-oriented care is offered at all State and Veterans Nursing Homes.
State Veterans Homes: Colorado's State Veterans Homes serve honorably discharged veterans, veterans’ spouses/widows and “Gold-Star” parents, any of whose children died while serving in the Armed Forces.
Mission: Under the direction of the Colorado Department of Human Services, the mission of the Division of State Veterans Nursing Homes is to honor and serve our nation's veterans, their spouses and Gold Star Parents by creating opportunities for meaningful activity, continued growth and feelings of self-worth in resident-centered long-term care and supportive living environments.
Vision: Our vision is that residents experience compassion, dignity and companionship in communities filled with life, love and laughter.
For more information about specific locations, please click “Our Homes” at left.