Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size

Indigent Community Mental Health Services

The Office contracts statewide with Community Mental Health Centers, Asian Pacific Center for Human Development and Servicios De La Raza, Inc. to provide mental health services to a limited number of individuals who have been identified as “medically indigent.” These services are identified for children, adolescents, adults and older adults.  


In order for a person to be eligible as “medically indigent” he or she must:


  1. Not have insurance coverage[1], have Medicare only coverage (dual eligibility not allowed), or have insurance coverage that does not include mental health benefits and;
  2. Have a Serious Mental Illness (SMI) (Adults) or a Severe Emotional Disturbance (SED) (Children) and;  
  3. Have an income that is at or below 300% of the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States.



[1]OBH considers Medicaid eligibility to be a form of insurance coverage.  People who are Medicaid eligible may contact their local Behavioral Health Care Organization for more information on eligibility and services covered by Medicaid.