Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size

Alcohol & Drug Involuntary Commitment


Under the Involuntary Commitment Statutes, an individual could be committed to the care and custody of the Office of Behavioral Health for up to seven (7) months. During this time, the individual is placed into a treatment program(s) that is appropriate and likely to be beneficial based on staff evaluations. The Office monitors the progress and reports to the Court as necessary.

The Involuntary Commitment is a legal proceeding that requires the documentation and filing of a petition. The Involuntary Commitment Petition must be completed by person(s) that can provide clear and convincing evidence needed to prove to the court that the individual is an alcoholic or a drug abuser, dangerous to self and/or others, and/or incapacitated, and refuses voluntary treatment.  Because this person is required to have direct observation and personal knowledge of the individual’s substance use and must be able to testify in court, this person cannot have personal alcohol or drug issues. The legal proceeding is started while the individual is in a licensed detoxification program. This individual must also be placed on an Emergency Commitment (See section entitled “Emergency Commitment”). 

No one can be committed because he or she is an alcoholic (drug abuser). A threat or act of physical harm, or incapacitation to the point of inability to care for self that presents as dangerous to self/others is absolutely required before the Court has the authority to deprive an individual of personal rights and placed under the custody of the Office of Behavioral Health.

Please contact a licensed detoxification program in your area or the Office of Behavioral Involuntary Commitment Coordinator at (303) 866-7489, (303) 866-7400 or cell phone (303) 807-7546 during regular business hours. Licensed detoxification programs are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For a listing of the detoxification programs, please refer to the Treatment Directory of this website and select “Person Seeking Treatment”, then select “Substance Abuse” and finally, select “Detox”.



C.R.S. 27-81-112, 27-82-108


Resource/Reference Links Box: