Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size






For Frequently Asked Questions related to specific programs, please click on the links below:






Who provides public mental health services where I live?
Most public mental health services are provided by one of 17 local community mental health centers. The centers are responsible for serving people within a defined geographic region.



How do I find out if I’m eligible for mental health services?
The determination of eligibility for mental health services is made at your local community mental health center. The determination is based on the level of need, as well as the availability of services. If you are not eligible for Medicaid, you may be required to pay some of the cost of the services you receive.



Who can I call if I want to complain about a mental health professional or other provider?
You may call the Office of Behavioral Health, which is primarily responsible for public mental health services delivered by community mental health agencies, or the Department of Regulatory Agencies, which is primarily responsible for receiving complaints about individual, licensed professionals.



How can I participate on the Colorado Mental Health Planning and Advisory Council?
You can either apply with the Office of Behavioral Health for a position on the Council, or find out how to participate as an interested member of the public. The Council has made increased use of tele- and video-conferencing a main goal, and you may be able to participate in meetings without traveling to Denver.



How do I get a copy of a report?
Most of the Office of Behavioral Health’s public reports are available on its website. You may contact the Office directly if you cannot find a specific report, or cannot access the website.



Where is the Office located?
The Office of Behavioral Health is located on the campus of the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Fort Logan, 3824 West Princeton Circle, Denver, CO 80236. The Office is in Building 15, west of the intersection of Lowell Avenue and West Oxford Avenue. The closest major intersection is Federal Boulevard and West Oxford Avenue.



What part of state government is the Office?
The Office of Behavioral Health is part of the Department of Human Services, which is in the executive branch of state government and is directed by the governor. The Office of Behavioral Health is within Behavioral Health Services in the Department.



How do I find out if I qualify for public assistance programs, such as Medicaid?
To find out if you qualify for public assistance programs, such as Medicaid, food assistance, or cash assistance, click on the link to PEAK (Program and Eligibility Application Kit): https://peak.state.co.us/selfservice/.  
This web-based application was developed by the Department of Health Care Policy and Financing, which is the state agency primarily responsible for Medicaid, including the Medicaid mental health benefits.
At this website, you can check to see if you might be eligible for Medicaid and other public assistance programs.  This website will also give you instructions to help you apply for these programs, including locations and phone numbers to call, and application forms you will need to complete.



What do I do if someone I know is considering suicide or might seriously hurt someone else?
If you believe someone is in immediate danger, you should dial 911. Otherwise, you can call your community mental health center or the state’s suicide hotline.



What is a “mental health hold”?
Generally, the term “mental health hold” refers to the authority given in state law to certain law enforcement and trained professionals to take someone into custody that they reasonably believe may be a danger to themselves, others or is gravely disabled. You can contact the Office of Behavioral Health for more information.



How do I get more information about a piece of legislation?
You can either contact the Office of Behavioral Health directly, or go to the Colorado General Assembly website.



How do I find out if my child can qualify for residential services?
Generally, the determination for eligibility for residential services for children is made at your community mental health center. However, there are other ways that children qualify for residential mental health treatment, including through Medicaid and some county run programs. If your child has been evaluated for residential services by a center and found ineligible, you may contact the Office of Behavioral Health to appeal that decision.



Last Updated: 1/31/2013