The Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo opened as the Colorado State Insane Asylum on October 23, 1879. On that date, 11 patients were admitted, nine males and two females from 12 different counties of the state.
In 1917, the insane asylum was renamed the Colorado State Hospital. By 1923, the census the hospital climbed to 2,422 and continued to grow until 1961 when the hospital had nearly 6,000 patients.
In 1991 the Colorado Department of Human Services psychiatric facilities names were changed to Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo and Colorado Mental Health Institute at Fort Logan.
For additional information on the history of the hospital, museum information and historical photos, please visit the CMHIP Museum website.