Creating the Governor’s Broadband Council
Pursuant to the authority vested in the Office of the Governor of the State of Colorado, I, Bill Ritter, Jr., Governor of the State of Colorado, hereby issue this Executive Order creating the Governor’s Broadband Council (“Council”).
I. Background and Need
To compete effectively in the private sector and to efficiently provide government services, Colorado must be ambitious and innovative in its deployment and adoption of broadband. Government, private, and public services from education to healthcare increasingly rely on the internet as a delivery mechanism and therefore we need to make every effort to increase the availability, access, and adoption of this service throughout Colorado.
Many parts of Colorado, particularly those living in rural areas, still lack access to broadband internet services and the adoption rate of broadband is questionable where it is available. Lack of access and low adoption rates inhibit economic activity, information flow, and remote work options. It is important that Colorado increases availability, access, and adoption as it relates to broadband so the demands of our citizens and public can be met.
Colorado recently completed a broadband availability mapping effort which gives the state more information than it has ever had historically. This map shows 95 percent of the state’s population has broadband available to it, but that only 33 percent of the geography is covered. This is great news for those members of our public that live and travel within a small part of our state, but it is unwelcome news for those that travel, for work or pleasure, in the other 67 percent of Colorado. We need to make every effort that is appropriate and prudent to expand broadband into these areas so the members of our society that are highly mobile have access outside a limited area.
This Executive Order creates the Governor’s Broadband Council, which will bring together stakeholders from Colorado’s technology, telecommunication, and government communities to ensure that we advance broadband availability, access, and adoption throughout the state. The Council will provide support to the Office of Economic Development and International Trade in its efforts to champion Colorado as an ideal locale for technology businesses. In addition, The Council will develop and assist the Governor’s Office and the Office of Economic Development and International Trade in the execution of a plan to facilitate broadband deployment and penetration throughout the state. This plan should be shared with the Colorado General Assembly.
II. Mission and Scope
The mission of the Council is to provide support in three primary areas: economic development; broadband deployment; and broadband penetration. In support of this mission, the Council shall:
A. Develop and assist in the execution of a plan to facilitate broadband deployment and penetration throughout Colorado.
B. Assist the Governor’s Office of Information Technology in their efforts to map the availability of broadband service throughout Colorado and aid the Office with its broadband planning activities.
C. The Council and its working groups shall periodically make recommendations to the Governor, and the State Chief Information Officer.
A. The Council shall be composed of up to twenty (20) members appointed by and serving at the pleasure of the Governor. The membership shall include the Executive Director of the Governor’s Office of Information Technology, or his or her designee, and the Chairman of the Public Utilities Commission, or his or her designee.
B. The Governor shall appoint one member of the Council to serve as chair of the Council.
C. The Council may establish working groups, task forces, or other structures from within its membership or outside its membership as needed to address specific issues or to assist it in its work.
IV. Staffing and Resources
The Council shall have the power to accept money and in-kind contributions from private entities and persons only to the extent such donations are necessary to cover its expenses. Any money contributed to the Council shall be directed to the Office of the Governor and deposited with the Treasurer of the State of Colorado in an account within the Office of the Governor’s budget. Members of the Council shall serve without compensation, but may, at the discretion of the chair and approval of the Office of the Governor, be reimbursed for any actual expenses incurred.
V. Directive and Prior Order Repealed
The Governor’s Broadband Council is hereby created. This Executive Order shall supersede Executive Order B 010 07, which created the Innovation Council and which is hereby repealed.
This Executive Order shall remain in force until modified or rescinded by a subsequent Executive Order.
GIVEN under my hand and the Executive Seal of the State of Colorado, this 6th day of April, 2010
Bill Ritter, Jr.