Related Information

Question: I was out of the country for part of the year and missed the April state income tax filing deadline. Can I use the state's automatic extension of time to file?
Yes. If you were living or traveling abroad on April 15, the deadline for filing your return and paying any taxes owed is June 15. However, if you need more time to file you will automatically have until October 15, to file your state tax return. This extension of time to file only applies to the actual return -- not money owed. If tax is owed, you can avoid any late payment penalties if you pay at least 90 percent of your tax liability by June 15.

When filing your tax return attach a statement to the front indicating "Abroad On April 15."

Special Note:

If after filing your Colorado income tax return you find you owe state income tax rather than mailing a check, you can pay using our electronic check or credit card Online Tax Payment service. This online service includes an administrative fee. For credit card transactions, the administrative processing fee is the amount due plus $0.77 multiplied by 2.25%. If you choose to pay with cash in the form of an echeck, the administrative processing fee is discounted to $1.00 per transaction.

Back to Common Questions

Back to Taxation Web site