Related Information

Question: Extension of Time to File -- How do I Apply?
If you canít file your Colorado individual income tax return by the deadline you may take advantage of the stateís automatic six-month extension of time to file. There is no form, paper or electronic, to fill out to notify the Department of Revenue that you are taking the extension.

Thereís no extension for tax due

The extension applies to filing Colorado income tax information, either on paper or electronically, not to any state income tax you may owe. If you expect to get a refund this year but do not make the filing deadline, you can still file your state income tax on or before October 15.

But, if you owe state income tax, 90 percent of the tax liability must be paid on or before the April 15 to avoid penalties. Any remaining balance due would be subject to interest only.

 What are my payment options?

  • Pay Online. Visit Revenue Online, Look under "For Individuals" and choose Make an Electronic Payament. Through Revenue Online you can pay tax by credit card or echeck. The system will calculate the total tax owed, plus interest and penalty. The day you make the payment is noted in your account. No waiting for the department to process your check.

Special Note:

If paying using our electronic check or credit card Online Tax Payment service. The online service includes an administrative fee. For credit card transactions, the administrative processing fee is the amount due plus $0.77 multiplied by 2.25%. If you choose to pay with cash in the form of an echeck, the administrative processing fee is discounted to $1.00 per transaction.


  • Mail in a check with the "tax year Extension Payment Voucher for Colorado Individual Income Tax" (DR 158-I). The voucher is inside the Colorado 104 income tax booklet.
To ensure your mailed payment is credited to your account, include your Social Security number(s) on the payment voucher. If you do not use the payment voucher, be sure to include your SSN(s) on the payment and indicate that the payment is for a specific income tax year. Otherwise, a nonfiler notice may be issued.


Back to Common Questions

Back to Taxation Web site